• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Two big reasons I'm aware of:
    1. Ada's compilers were proprietary and expensive back in the beginning, while C compilers came free with UNIX.
    2. Ada's safety guarantees are more focused on runtime checks (eg. constraining integer variables to programmer-defined ranges), making it more a middle-ground between Rust and Go as far as the amount of runtime support code you need.
    Here's a post by an Ada user on the Rust users forum which goes into more detail.
    That's what I was hinting at: if they're aimed at different "niches" and Rust's "niche" is systems programming, Ada's "niche" must be something else.

Not that I have anything against Ada. Every language is great if you use it for its intended purpose and a nightmare if you use it outside of that.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Ada is more than 3 times older than Rust and hasn't reach a third of Rust's adoption. There must be a reason for that.
    Two big reasons I'm aware of:
    1. Ada's compilers were proprietary and expensive back in the beginning, while C compilers came free with UNIX.
    2. Ada's safety guarantees are more focused on runtime checks (eg. constraining integer variables to programmer-defined ranges), making it more a middle-ground between Rust and Go as far as the amount of runtime support code you need.
    Here's a post by an Ada user on the Rust users forum which goes into more detail.

Having extensively used both Rust and Ada, I find it difficult to see them as overlapping or fighting for the same niche. The two languages/communities put focus on very different things:

[...]
    Last edited by ssokolow; 07 April 2021, 11:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied

Ada is more than 3 times older than Rust and hasn't reach a third of Rust's adoption. There must be a reason for that.
    Ada did not have this: https://enet4.github.io/rust-tropes/...-strike-force/

Not a day goes by that I don't see some or other Rust propaganda somewhere.
    Last edited by Raka555; 07 April 2021, 11:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Raka555
    replied

Ada did not have this https://enet4.github.io/rust-tropes/...-strike-force/

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by jaypatelani View Post
    Wish they picked ada

Leave a comment:

• jaypatelani
    replied
    Wish they picked ada

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    But, but "unstable ABI", "not standardized", "no gcc support", how will this work? /s

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I hope they write all parsers and decoders in this code. Such as Exif, ID3, etc. Saudi Arabia hacked Jeff Bezos by sending a specially crafted video file on WhatsApp.

Leave a comment:

• Google Begins Allowing Rust Code For Developing Android

Phoronix: Google Begins Allowing Rust Code For Developing Android

Not only is the Linux kernel moving to allow Rust code to be optionally used within the kernel, but Google is now allowing Rust code to be used for system programming work on Android's low-level operating system components too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X