Google Begins Allowing Rust Code For Developing Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C++ done right
    I see C++ becoming more and more like Rust for each new revision. I predict that by C++2121, we will finally have destructive move semantics, ownership, slices, sum types with exhaustive matching, zero-sized types, zero-overhead optionals, a way to declare that a type is either memcpy-copyable or -movable without implementing 4 functions, compile time reflection, the deprecation of inheritance by something like traits (concepts) and the deprecation of exceptions by something like Result (std::expected).

By that time, there will be a lot of obsolete cruft in C++. I also have the impression that the same features are better code reviewed when they go into Rust than when they go into C++.

Comment

Originally posted by andreano View Post
      I see C++ becoming more and more like Rust for each new revision. I predict that by C++2121, we will finally have destructive move semantics, ownership, slices, sum types with exhaustive matching, zero-sized types, zero-overhead optionals, a way to declare that a type is either memcpy-copyable or -movable without implementing 4 functions, compile time reflection, the deprecation of inheritance by something like traits (concepts) and the deprecation of exceptions by something like Result (std::expected).
      None of those things are innovations of Rust.

Nothing good about Rust is original and nothing original about Rust is good.

Comment

Originally posted by 60Hz View Post

None of those things are innovations of Rust.

Nothing good about Rust is original and nothing original about Rust is good.
        The Rust developers have been crowing since the beginning that "Nothing good about Rust is original" is a virtue. It's always been about taking ideas that have been kicking around in academia for decades and hammering them into a shape the mainstream will accept.

Comment

Originally posted by jabl View Post

Google is working on a new (the 3rd?) bluetooth stack for android called 'Gabeldorsche', this time (partially) using Rust: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...aster/gd/rust/
          WTF is wrong with google using bluez or at least contributing to it if there are problems?

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

WTF is wrong with google using bluez or at least contributing to it if there are problems?
            tl;dr: GPL hate

From wikipedia:

"Aiming for a different licensing model, toward the end of 2012, Google switched the Bluetooth stack in Android from the GPL-licensed BlueZ to the Apache-licensed BlueDroid. A new Bluetooth stack, called Gabeldorsche, was developed to try to fix the bugs in the BlueDroid implementation."

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
              The Rust developers have been crowing since the beginning that "Nothing good about Rust is original" is a virtue. It's always been about taking ideas that have been kicking around in academia for decades and hammering them into a shape the mainstream will accept.
              They've failed miserably.

Comment

They've failed miserably.
                [citation needed]

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

[citation needed]
                  The burden of proof is on Rustards.

It's accomplished almost nothing so far. Even Mozilla found it extremely underwhelming, except for the small team of fanbois that got laid off.

Comment

The burden of proof is on Rustards.

It's accomplished almost nothing so far. Even Mozilla found it extremely underwhelming, except for the small team of fanbois that got laid off.
                    Ahh, so you're trolling. I'll leave you to have the last word then since further discussion wouldn't be productive.

Comment

Working...
                    X