Google Begins Allowing Rust Code For Developing Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kloczek View Post
    As long rust is possible to use only with cargo and meson or cmake and make do not support it natively rust is really messy to use and hard to integrate wiyth other stuff.
    On the contrary that's what makes it incredibly easy to use, and CMake barely supports anything natively, Distros ship a billion helper files for a reason.

Comment

As long rust is possible to use only with cargo and meson or cmake and make do not support it natively rust is really messy to use and hard to integrate wiyth other stuff.
      I've used java/maven together with makefiles. If that works, I really don't see why you couldn't make a few calls to cargo work.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Ada did not have this: https://enet4.github.io/rust-tropes/...-strike-force/

Not a day goes by that I don't see some or other Rust propaganda somewhere.
        That's just the thing: it's not propaganda if the language actually fixes hard problems for developers and developers like working with it.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I've used java/maven together with makefiles. If that works, I really don't see why you couldn't make a few calls to cargo work.
          Can ypu point on some exap;es?

Comment

A library to render SVG images to Cairo surfaces. GNOME uses this to render SVG icons. Outside of GNOME, other desktop environments use it for similar purposes. Wikimedia...

Comment

Examples about what? How to invoke mvn or javac from a makefile?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Examples about what? How to invoke mvn or javac from a makefile?
                Exactly that.
                We are not talking abput vlu whales .. isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Ada did not have this: https://enet4.github.io/rust-tropes/...-strike-force/

Not a day goes by that I don't see some or other Rust propaganda somewhere.
                  This is true. There is a lot of propaganda.

However, there is something to it. Both Google and Microsoft found that 70% of vulnerabilities can be prevented by using a memory-safe language. That is as close as it gets to a security "silver bullet". Love it or hate it, I don't know any other language that can really serve as a memory-safe replacement for C.

Comment

A new Bluetooth service is a good place to look. The current one on Android is horrifying, to anyone who has read what's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
                      A new Bluetooth service is a good place to look. The current one on Android is horrifying, to anyone who has read what's in it.
                      Google is working on a new (the 3rd?) bluetooth stack for android called 'Gabeldorsche', this time (partially) using Rust: https://android.googlesource.com/pla...aster/gd/rust/

Comment

Working...
                      X