Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New AMD Zen 3 Fixes Published For The GCC 11 Compiler

Phoronix: New AMD Zen 3 Fixes Published For The GCC 11 Compiler

Last week there were a few round of Zen 3 compiler patches published and quickly merged into the GCC 11 compiler code-base ahead of its imminent release, This week there is some new activity albeit fixes for this new "Znver3" target...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I fully agree with Michael. Also if AMD prices their CPUs like Intel, the expectations are now rising as well. While consumers might be more forgiving as long as the out of the box performance is good enough, I guess the HPC crowd is more demanding, expecting to get the most out of their hardware from day one and not a year or two later.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
      I fully agree with Michael. Also if AMD prices their CPUs like Intel, the expectations are now rising as well. While consumers might be more forgiving as long as the out of the box performance is good enough, I guess the HPC crowd is more demanding, expecting to get the most out of their hardware from day one and not a year or two later.
      I think there's a correlation between how much we'll take as consumers and how well AMD is doing. The better they're doing, the less of this kind of bullshit are we willing to take. 7, 8 years ago I didn't mind letting them slide because they were the underdog. Now they have the best CPU architecture in the world, maybe the best GPU architecture (but we wouldn't know because cain't no one buy one), so they're not really the underdog and we're expecting them to put their money where their programmers are.

Since home users and their issues translates over to how the company committee is going to spend, I imagine that AMD wants us to stop complaining about their release timings so hopefully they'll get better in the upcoming year...I'm hoping that's what one or two of the Linux jobs AMD was hiring for go toward.

Comment

I do support both statements - on the other hand compared to intel+nvidia, employeecount and company size amd is and still will be the underdog for some more years.

Comment

So what is the performance gain over Zen 2 or why all this huffin' and puffin'? Do we have some numbers to back this attitude up?

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            So what is the performance gain over Zen 2 or why all this huffin' and puffin'? Do we have some numbers to back this attitude up?
            I'm more optimistic about them than my previous post shows. Years ago when AMDGPU just started and the end of the Catalyst era it would take 6 months to a year for new GPUs to get Linux support (especially on bleeding edge with Catalyst). After a while to under six months and recently it is almost down to launch day for Linux support. Back then when you'd buy a $500+ GPU you'd be pissed that you didn't have support and that level of being upset translates over to how you feel about them in the future.

Fortunately for me I knew all of that and have bought the refresh models of their products. The early R7's instead of the previous HDs, RX 580 instead of RX 480. And I'd be picking up an RX 6000 around now if it wasn't for all the GPU shortage miner scalper fiasco.

AMD's CPUs and Linux have been in a similar state for the past few years since Zen has been released. AMD is just now getting to a point to where they have day one support on Linux for their CPUs and GPUs. It took them almost a decade to get the GPUs to close to day one Linux support; CPUs having close to day one Linux support in under five years is pretty good considering their track record. Knowing how they were in the past and how they've transitioned up until now we have to be cautiously optimistic about the future. If they keep at their current pace they should be in just as good of day one Linux support as Intel.

And with how well their APUs perform these days they have to have great day one support for both PUs going forward. It isn't like the old a10/a12 era where 720p medium gaming was expected and acceptable for an iGPU; these new buggers push games at 1080p at decent settings and they're only gonna be getting better as the generations advance so AMD is going to need to be ready for both sides when their APUs launch in the future...especially if the scalper fiasco keeps on keeping on and people are forced to game off them.

And based on your join date I assume you know most of that, but someone newer or younger might not so that's why I went into more detail than necessary about it.

Comment

AMD has been getting support for CPUs and GPUs publicly available before launch for years now. Unfortunately, chips schedules are very tight. It's not like we write a driver and then sit on it for 6 months want wait for the launch day. The driver teams are aligned to deliver working driver for launch. That is pretty standard operating procedure regardless of the company. So while initial support may be upstream much earlier than launch, there are still changes going on to bring you from engineering sample support to production support. Often those changes are non-trivial to backport to older kernels or they are too invasive to be allowed into stable kernels. Linux release schedules are long (10-12 weeks), so even if you get you code out months before product launch, if you miss a merge window you may not get your code upstream until much closer to launch even if it has been available publicly for months prior. CPUs are not as bad because there is not really a driver layer per se. x86 mostly just works. It's just new features or platform changes that are necessary.

Comment

Logical fallacy:
                Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                If the Zen 3 compiler support was worked out long ago, there wouldn't be this mad dash and would have allowed for the new compiler target to bake and receive plenty of early testing by enthusiastic Linux users ...
                How do you "create" compiler support or early testing before having the CPU's?

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                  Logical fallacy:

How do you "create" compiler support or early testing before having the CPU's?
                  AMD has had working Zen 3 hardware for 6 months, at least, before they get released to the public.

That's one way motherboard manufacturer's make sure their boards support new CPUs at launch.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

AMD has had working Zen 3 hardware for 6 months, at least, before they get released to the public.

That's one way motherboard manufacturer's make sure their boards support new CPUs at launch.
                    Well, as you say: "AMD has had..." - the GCC or Clang guys didn't. How difficult is it to understand this chicken-and-egg problem?

Comment

Working...
                    X