Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.1 Beta 2 Released, Qt-Project.org Called For Revival

Phoronix: Qt 6.1 Beta 2 Released, Qt-Project.org Called For Revival

This week marked the arrival of Qt 6.1 Beta 2 for providing the latest bug fixes for this cross-platform toolkit ahead of the planned release next month...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm still using Qt 5.15.2, which was 100% perfect as far as I could tell on X.org, but now that I'm using Wayfire/Wayland, I am seeing a few little bugs here and there that might induce me to migrate to Qt 6. Right click context menus sometimes pop up at the wrong x-coordinate, drag and drop files from Nemo to my Qt application doesn't seem to work (could be my code though, Qt Creator seems to sometimes accept a drag and dropped file ok), etc. Nothing too serious though.

Comment

Neat, a site just to control QT's open source image and to encourage external contributors to work for free.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Neat, a site just to control QT's open source image and to encourage external contributors to work for free.
        This. Why contribute on someone else's project? Are you a slave?

Comment

So, the open source version is the same which gets also used for new commercial releases?
          And if I contribute, I'll lose all rights? And internally crafted fixes to my and other people's contributions (as well as bug fixes for Qt.io code) get released one year later? Did I recall all this correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
            So, the open source version is the same which gets also used for new commercial releases?
            And if I contribute, I'll lose all rights? And internally crafted fixes to my and other people's contributions (as well as bug fixes for Qt.io code) get released one year later? Did I recall all this correctly?
            No, the open source version is GPL lisenced, its code can not be bundled as closed source. The commercial version of qt, which is not open source is ahead of open source one

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
              You mean like chromium, darwin etc? Atleast open source version of QT is GPL complaint, so no software that uses the open source code can be completely closed source

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

No, the open source version is GPL lisenced, its code can not be bundled as closed source. The commercial version of qt, which is not open source is ahead of open source one
                You mean LGPL, right? So the OSS project is only for the code, which gets open sourced with about 1 year delay, correct? So that would mean they are not allowed to use the open source code in the commercial code? That seems unlikely, as you would have two incompatible code bases given some time.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                  Why contribute on someone else's project? Are you a slave?
                  You don't seem to understand this open source thing too well..

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    You mean LGPL, right? So the OSS project is only for the code, which gets open sourced with about 1 year delay, correct? So that would mean they are not allowed to use the open source code in the commercial code? That seems unlikely, as you would have two incompatible code bases given some time.
                    It does not mean that the qt code that has been released as open source can not be used in commercial branch. It means that any software that is closed source and shown to have used code from open source qt would be breaking the terms of GPL license. In other terms, if you want to make a closed source program with qt, you have to buy liscence for commercial branch of qt from qt company.

Comment

Working...
                    X