OpenJDK 16 Released With The JDK Source Beginning To Use C++14 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenJDK 16 Released With The JDK Source Beginning To Use C++14 Features

Phoronix: OpenJDK 16 Released With The JDK Source Beginning To Use C++14 Features

Java 16 is out today in the form of the OpenJDK 16 general availability release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pretty sad when you have to list migrations from one VCS to another as a highlight.
    Records and instanceof improvements are nice, but that's really providing what was in Scala or Kotlin a decade ago. And Java is still behind in that area.

And speaking of Scala, I hope tightening up access to internal APIs doesn't throw additional monkey wrenches into the language's performance.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Pretty sad when you have to list migrations from one VCS to another as a highlight.
      Well it can still be considered progress. These days if your company is still using CVS, SVN, Arch, Monotone, Bzr, or Perforce, you should seriously consider switching. Almost everyone has switched now. There are still lots of projects in Sourceforge trapped in a time capsule, projects that don't see any problem composing a release zip by hand, only to become infested with spyware in the sourceforge's pipeline.

Comment

I am still on Java 8 because I have a feeling newer Java breaks things... (and more often)

Sadly the Paper team decided to deprecate Java 8 for absolutely no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          I am still on Java 8 because I have a feeling newer Java breaks things... (and more often)

Sadly the Paper team decided to deprecate Java 8 for absolutely no reason.
          We've migrated to JDK11 without any issues (although you might have to include some new dependencies that were separated out from the jdk itself). The new Java cadence is a vast improvement, in my opinion. Less features per release should lead to less bugs per release.

Comment

A performance benchmark? Pretty please?

This JDK 16 release looks absolutely amazing, java just gets better and better. Looking forward trying out the Vector API. Basically the only thing I'm missing in java is a better generics implementation and better FFI. Otherwise it's the best general use case lang out there.

We're using JDK14 right now and considering an upgrade.

Comment

Debating if I should derail this thread with the R word

Comment

I experimented with the Vector API over a year ago (back then you had to compile OpenJDK yourself to try it out). I ported some of my own Scala code (Matrix multiplication and other math-heavy code) and quite liked the API. Saw about a 2x speed increase in my specific case. I was also happy that I was able to use it from Scala, as the vectorization and escape analysis (to prevent objects from going on the heap) is all happening through JVM magic and doesn't require new language features.

Happy to finally see this shipped in a real release. Going forward this should allow a lot of libraries to stop using JNI and do math directly on the managed side.

Comment

Hmpf, if only gentoo had solid java support I'd try this out ... but as it stands I'd have to get into writing ebuilds and that would probably consume too much time on its own

Comment

Java seems fine here on Gentoo

Comment

Working...
                    X