OpenJDK 16 Released With The JDK Source Beginning To Use C++14 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
    Hmpf, if only gentoo had solid java support I'd try this out ... but as it stands I'd have to get into writing ebuilds and that would probably consume too much time on its own
    AFAIK you don't need any special support as long as the distro comes with glibc. Just unzip the tar, export JAVA_HOME=/extraction/target & PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH. Done.

Comment

Originally posted by stupotace View Post

We've migrated to JDK11 without any issues (although you might have to include some new dependencies that were separated out from the jdk itself). The new Java cadence is a vast improvement, in my opinion. Less features per release should lead to less bugs per release.
      I tried at least three times to upgrade an OSGi java 8 app to java 11, no way, tons of errors and not enough time to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        I am still on Java 8 because I have a feeling newer Java breaks things... (and more often)

Sadly the Paper team decided to deprecate Java 8 for absolutely no reason.
        On the contrary, very little, if anything breaks between java versions in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post
          A performance benchmark? Pretty please?

This JDK 16 release looks absolutely amazing, java just gets better and better. Looking forward trying out the Vector API. Basically the only thing I'm missing in java is a better generics implementation and better FFI. Otherwise it's the best general use case lang out there.

We're using JDK14 right now and considering an upgrade.
          I am afraid generics and type erasure won't ever change because it was a compromise from the start to keep backwards compatibility and java rarely breaks backwards compatibility. I wish they would decide to kill it one day tho.. would eradicate some bugs forever.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Pretty sad when you have to list migrations from one VCS to another as a highlight.
            GCC managed to make it interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

AFAIK you don't need any special support as long as the distro comes with glibc. Just unzip the tar, export JAVA_HOME=/extraction/target & PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH. Done.
              Well, I don't install anything that doesn't come through the package manager. That's one of my basic rules for running Linux - I learned that the hard way, destroying quite a few Linux installs on the way many years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                GCC managed to make it interesting.
                Heh, ESR... I bet he needs quad socket AMD EPYC 7763 to run Reposurgeon these days.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post

I am afraid generics and type erasure won't ever change because it was a compromise from the start to keep backwards compatibility and java rarely breaks backwards compatibility. I wish they would decide to kill it one day tho.. would eradicate some bugs forever.
                  Yes, I'm just rooting for a big break to happen. Something similar to what Python did. It could be done, but then again seeing how many companies are stuck with ancient stuff like Java 8, or Java EE, I'm not optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                    Well it can still be considered progress. These days if your company is still using CVS, SVN, Arch, Monotone, Bzr, or Perforce, you should seriously consider switching. Almost everyone has switched now.
                    Yeah, isn't Canonical still on bazaar?
                    And apparently no plans to switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Leprechaunius View Post

Yes, I'm just rooting for a big break to happen. Something similar to what Python did. It could be done, but then again seeing how many companies are stuck with ancient stuff like Java 8, or Java EE, I'm not optimistic.
                      I'm guessing java still uses the ancient awt system underneath?

Comment

Working...
                      X