Git 2.31 Released With Moving More Of The Bisecting Code To C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hawkinsw View Post
    IIRC, it was originally written entirely in sh.

That said, I just checked out the git repo and looked at the original commit -- it's entirely C. I have no idea where my recollection came from that it was originally mostly implemented in sh. I am looking for references but can't seem to find any!
    Wasn't CVS originally a bunch of shell scripts around RCS? That's what I'd heard, and it makes sense. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Anyway, I distinctly remember a bit of fuss around how git was originally written in pure C. I think this was part of Linus' strategy to build it for speed. Perhaps he'd made some derisive comment about C++, along the way, thus stirring up the controversy.

Maybe this is what I'm remembering?

Comment

Originally posted by lyamc View Post
      I find it ironic that the same people who are so concerned about the damage from using the word "master" are so often the ones who have no problem applying seriously offensive words (racist, nazi, etc) to describe someone who disagrees with them.
      You just described how normal people judge things. From bullies and morons in schools who laugh at your problems to lying politicians - it's all the same shit with a different look.
      Last edited by cl333r; 16 March 2021, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hawkinsw View Post
        That said, I just checked out the git repo and looked at the original commit -- it's entirely C.
        Whatever and whenever it happened, very quickly lot of shell and Perl code was added for the so called "porcelains", high level commands, such as git-stash, git-bisect, git-format-patch. The plan is clearly to get rid of all the shell/script code for all the stabilized commands/interfaces and it mostly happened already, also because of pressure from the authors of the Windows port, that clearly don't like to bundle a Perl distribution just to use git. A lot of the remaining shell/script code is for tests. Everything else would sound good but I still have a concern that git official sources are not the one used for "tooling" git repositories. For that, libgit2 is used instead. git and libgit2 are different projects, with different purposes and codebases (also different "masters", as one libgit2 dev once said). With lot of unit tests they ensure nothing is broken exchanging data between the two different implementations, but it's still a waste of resources and it may be harder to get consensus to change internal formats of the repository, if some good ideas justify it.

Comment

I find it ironic that the same people who are so concerned about the damage from using the word "master" are so often the ones who have no problem applying seriously offensive words (racist, nazi, etc) to describe someone who disagrees with them.
          Disagree with a conservative and you're a traitor, a pedophile, a communist, a libtard, or all four together.

It's hypocritical to call out people for using the words racist and Nazi.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

Disagree with a conservative and you're a traitor, a pedophile, a communist, a libtard, or all four together.

The tribalism is strong in this one

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post

I don’t think you know what the word hypocrite means.

I never called anyone those things for disagreeing with a conservative. So it’s not hypocritical.

I know that Trump was called a traitor many times, they tried to make him appear to be a pedo from beauty pageants, and a molester/rapist based on what he said in the bus.

It’s hypocritical of you to say that it’s hypocritical since you’re saying I’m not allowed to criticize anyone who disagrees with a conservative, and yet here you are, criticizing anyone who agrees with a conservative.

Comment

I don’t think you know what the word hypocrite means.

I never called anyone those things for disagreeing with a conservative. So it’s not hypocritical.
                But others have. Not all conservatives call non-conservatives traitors. Not all non-conservatives call conservatives Nazis. So you're treating one side as a uniform group and the other side as independent people, which is inconsistent.

Comment

Originally posted by White Wolf View Post
                  "Continued work on preparing Git itself to be able to use the main branch name by default rather than master."
                  Yup, spend more time on nonsense, it will help developers in their work
                  Not really nonsense.

When we started working on a project, "master" was non sensical for us, "main" with derivatives for each "dev state" (dev/prod) seemed better for the "trunks"...
                  So we wanted to get rid of "master" but it caused several behaviour problems with some git operations. So we kept it although it's 100% useless.

If the work they are doing now will allow a repository to define any branch name as the "default" one and have git work fine, great.* Taking the chance to also pick a more neutral name is just a cherry on cake.

(I really don't care about the fuss over "whitelist"/"blacklist", but in my view, irrelevant of all those pointless discussion trying to bring racism where it's inexistant, "master" was just not the best choice of a generic word for git. I guess "trunk" was out of question to avoid any confusion with SVN which has a different behaviour, and "root" was probably not bright in a Linux context... But "main" feels right both in the perspective of a tre and the perspective of a project management of any kin.

* It may actually be the case already though. My team is stuck with an old version of Git (don't ask, don't judge XD).

Comment

A git thread without complaints from uid313 ? Never thought I'd see the day

Anyway: always good to see Git becoming a bit better with every release

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      A git thread without complaints from uid313 ? Never thought I'd see the day

Anyway: always good to see Git becoming a bit better with every release
                      Oh, I missed this thread!

I think the idea of Git is a pretty cool thing. I like version control system. I like things such as GitHub and GitLab. But using Git, is a bit difficult for me. Its good to see Git becoming a bit better with every release, but I do also hope it gets a bit more user-friendly with every release too. I also would like to see some nice graphical tools for Git, applications that are easy even for non-technical users.

Comment

Working...
                      X