No announcement yet.

Upstream 7-Zip Adds Preliminary Linux Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentoo user and don't want to jump through hoops 😜 Surely a source ball and compile yourself isn't that hard for Gentoo, as you already have the build tools installed?
    Hi

Comment

Originally posted by lectrode View Post
      Very much looking forward to this. I use 7zip for all sorts of personal projects, organization, archiving, etc. I have yet to see another algorithm beat LZMA2 max settings for level of compression for the amount of time it takes. for example, zstd with compression level 22 takes notably longer but produces larger archives (about 3GB larger for ~80GB games).

For most large games I use: 7z a myarchive.7z -md=256m -mqs=on -mx=9 *
      (256mb dictionary, sort by filetype, max compression, compress all files in the current directory)

For smaller things, I use p7zip as a right-click menu option in Thunar:
      Command: p7zipForFilemanager ad -t7z %F
      Have you tried xz? And the parallel version (pixz) in particular since time was a factor (depends of course on if you have lots of cores and ram to spare, xz is quite hungry).

Comment

I also use xz for a long time already. It just has the best compression ratio with good performance. AMD has braught us affordable high core CPUs (like the Ryzen 3900X), and compression time with xz shrinks dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

No, the biggest benefit of 7zip is not the GUI but the fact that it can seamlessly integrate itself into the Windows GUI so that users can simply right-click any file and use 7zip with various pre-defined options from the context menu, such as right click --> 7-zip --> Extract to <own folder> / Extract here / etc etc etc blah blah blah without ever having to enter the 7zip user interface.

Unfortunately, most Linux users are too stupid to recognize convenience even if slammed right in front of their faces.
          Are you retarded? All Linux file managers have had integrated compression/decompression since forever. Literally. If anything it's Windows that's catching up.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
            I'm a great fan of 7-Zip because it provide a simple and effective way of encrypting files to send over email. It has two useful options when using the 7z format:

1) Encrypt a file with AES-256
            2) Encrypt the archive such that the name of file in the archive is not available unless you know the key* (not available in ZIP format).
            Yesss ok but that is possible with the RAR format for ages?

RAR5 is super fast while having similar compression too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Yesss ok but that is possible with the RAR format for ages?

RAR5 is super fast while having similar compression too.
              There is a big draw back with rar. https://packages.debian.org/sid/rar

The reality here is rar under Linux and windows to make them legally long term you have to register and pay on a per user/computer base.
              WinRAR is a Windows data compression utility that focuses on the RAR and ZIP data compression formats for all Windows users. Supports RAR, ZIP, CAB, ARJ, LZH, ACE, TAR, GZip, UUE, ISO, BZIP2, Z and 7-Zip

Yes there is legal cost to using rar tools to make rar achieves. 7zip format is open and the tools don't have a license cost to pay to make archives either.

There are a lot of people who use the trial version of winrar against it license. That 40 day trial if you read the license is evaluation from of shareware license on winrar and command line rar that means you are not legally allowed to make a rar archive and send to someone else until you have in fact bought a license. Yes you can make a rar archive to see if it suitable for your use case and if you not suitable at the end of 40 days get rid of it.

7zip most of the features of rar without the legal headaches.

Yes sending someone a 7z file and having them install p7zip or 7zip does not risk the person end up in case of a audit having a invalid bit of software installed like winrar and rar command line tool can end them up with.

Comment

Working...
              X