Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upstream 7-Zip Adds Preliminary Linux Support

Phoronix: Upstream 7-Zip Adds Preliminary Linux Support

While there has been 7-Zip file support on Linux via the p7zip project, the upstream 7-Zip 21.01 Alpha release has finally introduced native Linux support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent news. Have been using the 7zFM gui client for Linux and although it gets the job done, the interface is barely functional and it appears to be unmaintained. Looking forward to a proper release from the big man Igor himself.

Comment

Very much looking forward to this. I use 7zip for all sorts of personal projects, organization, archiving, etc. I have yet to see another algorithm beat LZMA2 max settings for level of compression for the amount of time it takes. for example, zstd with compression level 22 takes notably longer but produces larger archives (about 3GB larger for ~80GB games).

For most large games I use: 7z a myarchive.7z -md=256m -mqs=on -mx=9 *
      (256mb dictionary, sort by filetype, max compression, compress all files in the current directory)

For smaller things, I use p7zip as a right-click menu option in Thunar:
      Command: p7zipForFilemanager ad -t7z %F

Comment

Would be nice if the developer would care more about security. It is not the first time 7zip was critized for bad code quality when it comes to security and pretty much nothings happens or very slowly. While 7zip is open source it is developed behind closed doors with code bombs from time to time.

https://twitter.com/AdmVonSchneider/...00173441089538

An upstream Linux version is a nice step forward but is still a long way to go for the application itself.
        Last edited by -MacNuke-; 12 March 2021, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Its only console version, so nothing big, biggest advantage of 7zip is GUI, but lots of people in Linux world are still stuck in terminals..

Comment

I too think that a good GUI is missing on Linux. Every file archiver GUI I tried so far (file-roller, ark, ...) was so bad, I quickly went back to the command line. For Zips/Tars I even use mc (midnight commander) from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by mazumoto View Post
              I too think that a good GUI is missing on Linux. Every file archiver GUI I tried so far (file-roller, ark, ...) was so bad, I quickly went back to the command line. For Zips/Tars I even use mc (midnight commander) from time to time
              You could try out PeaZip. It can handle a great load of formats at least for reading.

Comment

Free file archiver utility for Windows, macOS, Linux, Open Source file compression and encryption software. Open, extract RAR TAR ZIP archives, 200+ formats supported

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
                  Would be nice if the developer would care more about security. It is not the first time 7zip was critized for bad code quality when it comes to security and pretty much nothings happens or very slowly. While 7zip is open source it is developed behind closed doors with code bombs from time to time.

https://twitter.com/AdmVonSchneider/...00173441089538

An upstream Linux version is a nice step forward but is still a long way to go for the application itself.
                  I wouldn't say 7zip is actually quite bad in this. A lot of programs use LZMA/LZMA2 based on code from 7zip and number of CVEs against 7zip is smaller then Winrar for example. And still playing with data formats is risky business anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ruthan View Post
                    Its only console version, so nothing big, biggest advantage of 7zip is GUI, but lots of people in Linux world are still stuck in terminals..
                    The GUI doesn't expose all the features of the 7z cli program. Especially some of the more niche ones like sfx scripting for self extracting installers.
                    So the GUI is great for casual users but comes up a little short when using it for anything creative / development related.

Comment

Working...
                    X