"git clone" Hit By Vulnerability That Could Lead To Code Execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    I wish someone made a GUI for Git designed for non-techies, and made it dead easy to use, like even a retard could use it.

I like the idea behind Git, it is cool, but it is frigging confusing and using the command line is arcane.
    I have no idea what head, headref, index, stash, pseudoref, ref, reflog, symref, etc means and I don't care.
    I don't know how to amend or how to squash commits.
    I don't know what a tag is, or why I would want to create a tag.

I just want to be able to edit files, save them with a commit message, and have a history. Like on Wikipedia, it is easy, you just click on Edit then make some changes, write a message and click on the Save button, then you can click on View history and pick two points in history that you want to compare and you get a diff.
    I also don't know what some of the Git commands you mentioned mean (I mainly use the basic git commands like push, pull, clone, etc.), but then again, I don't know what most commands of other CVS's mean either.

Comment

I wish someone made a GUI for Git designed for non-techies, and made it dead easy to use, like even a retard could use it.

I like the idea behind Git, it is cool, but it is frigging confusing and using the command line is arcane.
      I have no idea what head, headref, index, stash, pseudoref, ref, reflog, symref, etc means and I don't care.

I just want to be able to edit files, save them with a commit message, and have a history. Like on Wikipedia, it is easy, you just click on Edit then make some changes, write a message and click on the Save button, then you can click on View history and pick two points in history that you want to compare and you get a diff.
      What you need is a proper guide. Like this one - https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2

Comment

You need a few simple recipees. You don't need to use all git can do, and you probably shouldn't. If you get too creative git breaks and needs git fsck and resets. It is a common beginner mistake. You should use it as an advanced SVN anyway

Comment

"But it is frigging confusing and using the command line is arcane."
          I agree that Git is not intuitive when you come into it, but they did make several efforts to simplify things, like finally creating "aliases" (commands that are just shortcuts for longer / parameterized ones) specifically for "restore file from commit" or the like, which before required specific options on more generic commands.
          However, your true and only problem is here
          "I have no idea what head, headref, index, stash, pseudoref, ref, reflog, symref, etc means and I don't care."
          So YOU don't even want to try and learn how to use it, then complain it's hard?
          I hope you didn't have the same mindset when learning to drive...
          Problem here is just you. Most things that bring power have an uncompressible degree of complexity and thus learning curve to embrace. Git like everything else IT (word processors, image filtering, video composition tools) and otherwise (learning the basics of law to not get screwed over too much from banks, assurances, or more simply phone providers).

Comment

Working...
          X