"git clone" Hit By Vulnerability That Could Lead To Code Execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "git clone" Hit By Vulnerability That Could Lead To Code Execution

Phoronix: "git clone" Hit By Vulnerability That Could Lead To Code Execution

Disclosed today is CVE-2021-21300 as a security vulnerability affecting git clone that could lead to specially crafted repositories being able to execute code during the Git clone process...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"on case-insensitive filesystems which support symbolic links"
    Are there many of those ? I use case-sensitive filesystems, and those I knew insensitive didn't have symlinks.

Comment

Can't ext4 be configured that way now?

Comment

Originally posted by PluMGMK View Post
        Can't ext4 be configured that way now?
        I think so. I just wondered whether many people do.

Comment

Originally posted by phoron View Post
          Are there many of those ? I use case-sensitive filesystems, and those I knew insensitive didn't have symlinks.
          macOS; I can at least confirm that the filesystem on mine are APFS and case-insensitive out of the box (and they call this a Unix system )

Comment

I think so. I just wondered whether many people do.
            Since Linux 5.2 apparently, and more recently the feature was added to f2fs as well. I doubt many Linux-users have their system set-up like that though, unless you as an end-user specifically did so. Android, macOS and obviously Windows (duh) are able to run run case insensitive file systems.

Comment

It affects NTFS, HFS+ and APFS.

Comment

Thanks, I see I'm not up to date with windows and Mac. I thought Macs where case sensitive and Windows had no links ... Now I know more.

Comment

Thanks, I see I'm not up to date with windows and Mac. I thought Macs where case sensitive and Windows had no links ... Now I know more.
                  Well... NTFS has both soft and hard links and is internally case-sensitive

Comment

nice moove,
                    So a 'rm -rf * &' will do the trick..

think 10 times now, before git cloning something..
                    Last edited by tuxd3v; 09 March 2021, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X