Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LLVM Clang Mainlines Support For The Motorola 68000 Series (m68k)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this have a anything to do with Mars Rover using this kind of processor?

Comment

Originally posted by xxmitsu View Post
      Does this have a anything to do with Mars Rover using this kind of processor?

https://m.hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/14...original-imac/
      The G3 is a PPC. From the PPC 750 family. Not m68k.
      Probably a RAD750 derivative.

Comment

Is this useful for Amiga owners ?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          LLVM/Clang today merged the "m68k" target for these three decade old processors...
          You mean 4 decade old processors:

The original MC68000 was fabricated using an HMOS process with a 3.5 µm feature size. Formally introduced in September 1979,[4] initial samples were released in February 1980, with production chips available over the counter in November.[5] Initial speed grades are 4, 6, and 8 MHz.

Last edited by linuxgeex; 09 March 2021, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
            No, not really. It may be the first step, but all the OS related stuff is missing. The Amiga executable format called Amiga Hunk is not really common like MCOFF, AOUT or ELF also used on m68k platforms. This llvm/clang can't generate proper Amiga binaries. Also system specific includes and libs may be missing.

The next thing is, a classic AmigaOS (running on m68k) won't have the resources to run a beast like llvm/clang. You may be able to provide enough memory (classic AmigaOS can deal with up 768 MiB RAM, maybe more in 3.x releases), but you won't have enough computing power. Last year I cross-compiled a minimalistic Linux for an Amiga1200 68060@66MHz and 256MiB RAM (https://github.com/wgottwalt/openadk). Nice to see a 5.9.x kernel booting on a classic Amiga, but it takes ages. I also included gcc 10.2 for having some fun with C++20 ... well, forget it, real classic hardware can't deal with such big software.

Comment

Wikipedia references are apparently "SPAM"
              using Wikipedia references is apparently "spam"

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
                Currently only targeting Linux ABI. But NetBSD and AmigaOS are sure to follow at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
                  using Wikipedia references is apparently "spam".
                  It isn't always post content - the forum SW occasionally marks posts as spam with no obvious cause.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

It isn't always post content - the forum SW occasionally marks posts as spam with no obvious cause.
                    Yes, I'm pointing out that the custom forum software is punishing well written posts. Without the wikipedia reference it was not blocked. This isn't the first time I've had a post blocked because I've taken the time to add reference links.

I suspect that the "spam filter" needs some tweaking. For example, it could take into account the tenure and post popularity of the author, and it could take into account the IP reputation (Spamhaus XBL etc) of the domain being referenced, vs randomly punishing a post for having a link.
                    Last edited by linuxgeex; 09 March 2021, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Currently only targeting Linux ABI. But NetBSD and AmigaOS are sure to follow at some point.
                      You can already use LLVM to target Amiga via FPK Pascal, which can use LLVM as a back-end for generating object code. That may not be your favourite language to code in lol.
                      Last edited by linuxgeex; 09 March 2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X