No announcement yet.

Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Phoronix: Qt 5.15.3 LTS Released With 200+ Bug Fixes, But Only For Commercial Customers

Qt 5.15.3 is out today with nearly 250 fixes as the latest point release for this last Qt5 long-term support series. However, as reported previously, new Qt 5.15 LTS point releases are restricted to The Qt Company's commercial customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm a 20+ years old KDE user and as sad as it sounds I'm starting to think that they should ditch QT for good.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

KDE should make its way...

Comment

Dropping QT is practically impossible. It will mean the end of KDE practically.
        The KDE foundation made a statement after the changes last year. They said they are working with QT foundation to resolve the issue but there seems to be no further information. Did I miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          I'm a 20+ years old KDE user and as sad as it sounds I'm starting to think that they should ditch QT for good.
          It's not like there are any real alternatives to Qt. You don't create a new GUI toolkit with the scope of Qt over the weekend. Not in a year either. Or even five years.

Comment

Sigh....didn't anybody at KDE learn the lesson from all those years ago when QT was Trolltech ?? When you are supposedly a FOSS pioneer and advocate and you bed down with a for profit corporation that you base most of your entire platform on, you get exactly what you deserve.

All those wasted years, not to mention the THOUSAND of combined dev years in KDE. It would have been so much better if they all had joined with GCC, GTK and Gnome to better FOSS. Or if their hatred for all those was too much join up with MATE or XFCE or what ever hobbyist DE of your choice.

KDE is f*cked. And KDE based projects are also f*cked. ( golf clap....well done ). And all for the love of C++ ( making retching noises ).

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post

It's not like there are any real alternatives to Qt. You don't create a new GUI toolkit with the scope of Qt over the weekend. Not in a year either. Or even five years.
              For new developments that "GUI TK" that replaced Qt is mostly Electron. Just the old stuff will probably have to pay. It comes down to C++. There simply is no real Framework besides Qt for C++ and Qt is kind of a soft dependency for C++, as many libs are Qt libs.

The real problem is that the community seems to be unwilling to fork Qt and just waits and hope for the best.

Comment

Guess I'm not sure I see the issue here. Why can't KDE just take the latest code they have available and move on and fix what they need fixed? I realize that it is convenient to have Qt managing the fixes, but if Qt wants to move on then KDE just needs to accept it by maintaining their own source tree. The benefit of this is that they don't have to move to v6 since it is apparently missing quite a bit of functionality currently.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                  KDE should make its way...
                  Yeah....right over to GCC, GTK, GObject and Gnome. Even Vala.

Fire up Gnome Builder, KDE acolytes, and rejoice.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    What would be the benefit over a community-led LTS branch that only ports fixes from Qt 6.x to 5.15?

Comment

Working...
                    X