Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.4.9 Released With ~2x Faster Performance For Long Mode

Phoronix: Zstd 1.4.9 Released With ~2x Faster Performance For Long Mode

Zstd 1.4.9 is out today as the latest version of this implementation for the Facebook-led Zstandard lossless data compression algorithm. With Zstd 1.4.9 comes a very sizable speed-up when running in its long distance mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Zstd has made so many improvements. I remember they were trying to update the one that the Linux Kernel uses. I wonder how that's going: I think the Kernel's version was something old like 1.4.3 last I checked.

Comment

There were efforts to bring the Zstd version in the Kernel up to date and provide a mechanism to keep both in sync. But there was some pushback on the mailing list on the implementation details.

Comment

Is there a sane way to search the lkml ? Certainly never managed to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          I wonder how that's going: I think the Kernel's version was something old like 1.4.3 last I checked.

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Is there a sane way to search the lkml ? Certainly never managed to do it
          There's an active github issue you can subscribe to. It's been a long process to get the kernel version updated unfortunately

Comment

Interesting. Coincidentally I just spent the better part of the day to produce a build of zstd 1.4.8 on my own that's actually faster than 1.3.3 that comes with Ubuntu 18.04. I tried -O2, -O3, -flto and even -march=native, in various combinations, but they were all considerably (like >10%) slower than the much older stock Ubuntu build. Both with GCC 8 and Clang 11. I only ran the benchmark up to level 10 though, but I guess the newer releases should be at least on par with the older one, right?

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? What's the recommended way to build an optimized Zstd?
            Last edited by anarki2; 04 March 2021, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Wow, such a good news!
              I just use long mode at my work, I should definitely update it to the new version.
              Thanks!

Comment

I don't quite get how to interpret this news to be honest.

I'm reading it as "long mode got substantially faster" but the "regular mode" should still be the fastest, right?
                Or is long mode now faster then the regular mode?

You can kinda go either way with both this news item as well as the release notes...

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post

I'm reading it as "long mode got substantially faster" but the "regular mode" should still be the fastest, right?

You can kinda go either way with both this news item as well as the release notes...
                  Long mode is still slower - it has more work to do while searching for common patterns in bigger history buffer - compared to regular mode.
                  But it "got substantially faster" than it used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post

Long mode is slower than regular mode, because it uses bigger history.
                    Long mode is used to achieve higher compression ratio in cost of speed and much higher RAM usage.

Comment

Working...
                    X