Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google's New Lyra Voice Codec + AV1 Aim For Video Chats Over 56kbps Modems In 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google's New Lyra Voice Codec + AV1 Aim For Video Chats Over 56kbps Modems In 2021

Phoronix: Google's New Lyra Voice Codec + AV1 Aim For Video Chats Over 56kbps Modems In 2021

Google's AI team has announced "Lyra" as a very low bit-rate codec for speech compression designed for use-cses like WebRTC and other video chats... With a bit rate so low that when combined with the likes of the AV1 video codec could potentially allow video chats over 56kbps Internet connections...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This codec is shockingly good! Wow, just… wow.

Comment

I once dreamed of an AI-powered media codec...

Now to see the dream come true...
      While not necessarily for 56K dial-up modems, it would bring massive bandwidth savings when you think of how many connections they keep at a time...

Comment

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Google's New Lyra Voice Codec + AV1 Aim For Video Chats Over 56kbps Modems In 2021

Google's AI team has announced "Lyra" as a very low bit-rate codec for speech compression designed for use-cses like WebRTC and other video chats... With a bit rate so low that when combined with the likes of the AV1 video codec could potentially allow video chats over 56kbps Internet connections...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...px=Google-Lyra

Comment

I once started building a neural-net based lossless audio codec (like FLAC except with better predictors) but never got around to finishing.

trying to build a better lossless audio codec than FLAC based on using a neural network to predict samples - programmerjake/lossless_neural_sound

Comment

Who is on 56k modem in 2021? I was when I was a kid. 20 years ago.
            Problem with audio video today is not bandwidth, but bufferbloat and latency.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
              Who is on 56k modem in 2021? I was when I was a kid. 20 years ago.
              Problem with audio video today is not bandwidth, but bufferbloat and latency.
              It's hard to believe that there are still locations in some countries with Dial up connections or very low bandwidth DSL1 connection, but there are.

Comment

I don't think it's neccessary to drop the word "cloud" with everything.

A good voice codec is fine on its own. Even if we just do a p2p call between 2 people.

Comment

Sounds nice. Now, when are we getting hardware accelerated encoding and decoding for webrtc? It's still missing for Linux.

Comment

It looks like this is no longer an audio "codec" - it's basically the AI to recognize speech and synthesize it which is simply amazing. Perhaps future video codecs will work similarly. NVIDIA has already created a working AI powered video codec for video conferences which requires a much lower bitrate than standard codecs.
                    Last edited by birdie; 27 February 2021, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X