Git 2.30 Released As More Projects Shift To "Main" As Their Default Branch Name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
    lmao those headlines are such good bait, this thread is just as garbage as i expected
    if by garbage you mean pure gold, LMAO. the comment threads on these posts only continue to get more entertaining. the fact that michael is a secret passive troll who absolutely loves posting about this stuff makes it even better.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post
      Come on, why are so many people here full of hate because Git now ALLOWS CUSTOMIZING the name of the default branch. You can still call it "master" if you want. But this is actually a very shitty name for the default branch, I can hardly find a word that is more ambiguous and still NONE of its meanings are even close to what you push onto the default branch in most sensible development models. Depending on what you do, I propose the names "rolling", "edge" or "dev".
      Convention over configuration, that's why.

Also, "master" perfectly describes its role: it's the keeper of vetted versions. "Rolling", "edge" or "dev" are only fitting if you use git like svn and shove all development in the wrong place.

And there's no hate, just an irritation caused by a seemingly disproportionate amount of effort (and that includes reporting of these changes) going into an otherwise irrelevant direction.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Convention over configuration, that's why.

Also, "master" perfectly describes its role: it's the keeper of vetted versions. "Rolling", "edge" or "dev" are only fitting if you use git like svn and shove all development in the wrong place.

And there's no hate, just an irritation caused by a seemingly disproportionate amount of effort (and that includes reporting of these changes) going into an otherwise irrelevant direction.
        That. To me, "main" describes the current stable branch and not the current development branch or master tracking branch. That it's the main one you want people to use. Like, Godot 3.2 would be the Main version while Godot 4.0 is the Master version.

Comment

None of the proposed alternative names I have seen on the internet are weaker and none sufficiently replace the word "master" - it has all the right collection of meanings for the usage.

As using a pre-existing word is clearly a minefield, I propose using the word "Moster" as a default where master would have been used previously, to avoid confusion. It also has most of the connotations of master, when you think about it...

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            In many Indochina dialects, "main" is an ethnic slur. I'm offended. Time to move our corporate version control system back to SVN.
            Didn't know it was an ethnic slur there. But it can be offensive in quite a few languages. As I said last time: it's could be considered offensive in Dutch too since "main" is slang for "man", which implies that Git is only for men, not for women, transgenders, etc. I'm switching to Mercurial!

Comment

Originally posted by AsuMagic View Post
              lmao those headlines are such good bait, this thread is just as garbage as i expected
              That’s right. What’s the big deal, it’s just a rename that makes sense anyway. Right? RIGHT COMRADE?

Speaking of which, did you pay your party membership dues yet? Do you know when the next mostly peaceful protests are scheduled?

Comment

Originally posted by quaz0r View Post

if by garbage you mean pure gold, LMAO. the comment threads on these posts only continue to get more entertaining. the fact that michael is a secret passive troll who absolutely loves posting about this stuff makes it even better.
                yes [email protected] is a master of Fredom of Speech

the greatest secret passive troll of all times.
                Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

I'm not sure if there is any individual word that truly offends me... there are worlds I don't say because I strongly prefer not to cuss. However, I have never been offended by those words.

What does offend me is the combination of words in way that oppresses others or myself... and that is exactly what virtue signalling does. Especially where roles are imposed on me or others that have nothing to do with reality for some agenda... or passive agressive social shift toward some undesirable state.

Comment

Originally posted by om26er View Post
                    Finally, the much awaited change. Expecting 33% faster performance now that the default branch name is 33% smaller in length.
                    What a poor attempt at making an excuse to change the branch name without revealing the true reason. And your likes make me so mad everyone is falling for this trap.

Comment

Originally posted by rustysys-dev View Post

I think that this cannot be stressed enough.
                      Not a nitpick - just that this is super recent research; so now is the time to "stress" it (publicize it)

Comment

Working...
                      X