X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZeroPointEnergy
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    consider moving on to Python, a hugely popular language, perhaps the world's most popular languages
    No thanks. I will stick to Ruby, as coding with it makes me smile. It's a bit like listening to music because you like it and not because it's the most popular one.

I'm also not a rails developer. Ruby also has it's devops community as it us used in a lot of those tools (Puppet, Facter, Foreman, etc)
    Last edited by ZeroPointEnergy; 27 December 2020, 06:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Woah, marketing much? I'm sorry, I'm sure you mean well, but this paragraph reads like it was written by someone from a marketing department...
    No, I have no affiliation with the Python project other than I know that language, but to be honest, I don't even code that much Python, only a little, I code more in other languages such as C# and Rust, but also JavaScript, TypeScript, Kotlin, etc.

Some parts of Python I don't even like, like its rather cumbersome to have to declare self as the first parameter of every method, and when not having touched Python code for a long time, I often get confused about whether a field is a instance field or a static class field because the syntax is not all too clear about that.

But yeah, I am just being honest, Ruby only got popular due to Ruby on Rails, it is losing traction, it not gaining any new influx of users, and Python is hugely popular and taught all over the world at universities to people from different academic backgrounds.

Python isn't even my favorite language, I code in so many other languages.

Leave a comment:

• HarlemSquirrel
    replied
    I really don't understand the hatred toward Ruby. Bundler is one of the best dependency management tools I've used in any language. The backwards compatibility in minor versions is by just lovely.

Most arguments against Ruby there are just "nobody uses it" or "it's slow" and there's poor evidence for both claims. These are all big Ruby shops:

Airbnb
    Basecamp
    Bloomberg
    Flatiron School
    GitHub
    GitLab
    Kickstarter
    Shipify
    SoundCloud
    Twitch
    Twitter

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    We used to use a static-site generator software called Middleman written in Ruby where I work, and while the software itself was probably very good, it was a nightmare because of its dependencies and the Ruby runtime.

Developers had to install the runtime, then get the dependencies and there would be problems with the gems and it would not work and just be a pain so we allocated time to migrated away from Middleman to Hugo written in Go and it was a bliss, it's super fast and have no dependencies, its all just in one single executable, no runtime, no dependencies.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by polarathene View Post

..wut?
    My bad, I meant to say Rust draws inspiration from Ruby, not Rust draws inspiration from Rust.

Originally posted by aronwolf View Post

I am a ruby on rails developer and I am not old (28 years old and developing ruby for 4 years). Many companies use ruby on rails for web applications and many of them are young companies.
    I imagine the only young companies using Ruby are the ones where guy who started the company knew only Ruby, or where the guy who hired didn't know anything about technology, so he just hired some and it ended up with some Ruby guys who never bothered to learn any other language since.

Ruby is not just a good technology choice for a startup.

Originally posted by lindgrenj6 View Post
    Honestly I know a lot of people love to preach "Ruby is only used in Rails" but where I work there are so many products written in Ruby, and we're still starting more! Ruby is a great language for building out v1 and if performance becomes an issue (and you can't scale horizontally) we just re-write the slow parts in Go and shove them into another microservice.

Ruby's primary purpose is developer happiness and I think it excels at that. It may not be as fast, but the improvements in developer productivity had always made up for it. I'm primarily extremely excited for Ractor's which bring true concurrency and the actor model to Ruby - it should be great to work with!
    Yeah, that's where you work because its an Ruby shop with Ruby developers and everyone there knows Ruby so of course you have many software written in Ruby and starting more.
    Python is an even better language to start a v1, or just start with .NET Core from the start then never have to think about slow parts to rewrite.

Other languages also brings developer happiness and already have actor models.

Originally posted by HarlemSquirrel View Post
    I am a professional Ruby developer both on Rails and off for over four years now and I love it. The Ruby community is very warm and friendly and doesn't bad mouth other languages.

Maybe there aren't thousands of new Stack Overflow posts for Ruby every day because the documentation, existing blog posts, and large collection of gems have solved many common problems already and Rubyists aren't afraid to read before posting.
    Maybe there aren't any new posts because there are no new people adopting Ruby because they Ruby is not a sound investment of time to learn.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    Yast was re-written in Ruby a few years back.

Yast itself is not quite ready for Ruby 3.0 (according to TW Review of the week), but it seems to be a goal they are actively pursuing.

Leave a comment:

• HarlemSquirrel
    replied
    I am a professional Ruby developer both on Rails and off for over four years now and I love it. The Ruby community is very warm and friendly and doesn't bad mouth other languages.

Maybe there aren't thousands of new Stack Overflow posts for Ruby every day because the documentation, existing blog posts, and large collection of gems have solved many common problems already and Rubyists aren't afraid to read before posting.

Leave a comment:

• lindgrenj6
    replied
    Honestly I know a lot of people love to preach "Ruby is only used in Rails" but where I work there are so many products written in Ruby, and we're still starting more! Ruby is a great language for building out v1 and if performance becomes an issue (and you can't scale horizontally) we just re-write the slow parts in Go and shove them into another microservice.

Ruby's primary purpose is developer happiness and I think it excels at that. It may not be as fast, but the improvements in developer productivity had always made up for it. I'm primarily extremely excited for Ractor's which bring true concurrency and the actor model to Ruby - it should be great to work with!

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by onlyLinuxLuvUBack View Post

Python is garbage. Last time college professors sold us on java now it's python. You can't trust college professors or phds.
    Go with nim, try distributing your python code/app on multiple OSes and they youll see the mess that is python(oh which version? oh what mess), with nim there is one file to copy, done, app distributed.
    nim FTW.
    Let me know when PyQt gets joined by NimQt as a memory-safe way to write a QWidget-based GUI or whatever a Nim equivalent to Django would be called for a way to get Django's ecosystem of reusable modules.

I'm already using Rust to get Nim's benefits (and more) in other situations.

Leave a comment:

• aronwolf
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    If you use Ruby, a language that got popular only thanks to Ruby of Rails and that nobody uses except old Ruby on Rails developers, a language with no influx of new users, then you might want to consider moving on to Python, a hugely popular language, perhaps the world's most popular languages, taught all over the world at universities to people from all backgrounds whether it be mathematicians, statisticians, physicists, engineers or software developers.
    If you're interested in a systems language you want to look into Rust which draws inspiration from Rust and features things familiar to Rust developers such as the double-pipe lambda expression ||, and implicit return statements where you end the line with the expression you want to return without using the return keyword.

No, Python's performance has long been better than Ruby's.
    Isn't Python's performance similar to other interpreted languages such as PHP, Perl, Tcl, and JavaScript?

Yes, it did. Ruby was infamous for its poor performance.
    I am a ruby on rails developer and I am not old (28 years old and developing ruby for 4 years). Many companies use ruby on rails for web applications and many of them are young companies.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X