Git 2.30-rc0 Released With More Work On "Main" Branch Renaming, Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

and the raging of extremely sensitive people who cannot see that "master" is not used to refer to slavery in this context and that "black/white" are mere colors (when used in a proper context like "blacklist/whitelist") continues unabated too.
    exactly.
    those are the same persons who think that knowing less (words) is better.[1]
    just make everybody stupid brainwashed sheeps.

[1] "(I am sure those who speak different languages may well like to have one less English word they need to care about too)"

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
      "political control", "virtue signalling", "white guilt".

Seeing how seriously you are afraid by a simple change, and trying to gain some right wing pocket change using all trigger words, Id say you are older than 100 and this is overdue.
      Who said I was afraid? I don't like politics getting shoved where they don't belong. If that makes me right wing, so be it. I would also oppose a change of the master branch to the "führer" branch.

Sure this one is a "simple change", so will be the next one which is surely coming. We already have political CoCs, race and gender based programs (i.e. outreach), now we get "new speek" in code.

Comment

Originally posted by gabber View Post
        Who said I was afraid? I don't like politics getting shoved where they don't belong. If that makes me right wing, so be it. I would also oppose a change of the master branch to the "führer" branch.
        You are replicating any right wing grifters "arguments" about a change that likely does not affect you at all.

Sure this one is a "simple change", so will be the next one which is surely coming. We already have political CoCs, race and gender based programs (i.e. outreach), now we get "new speek" in code.
        Yeah, language is changing in small steps, so what? After a generation its a non-issue, and snowflakes will get offended by the next thing, and grifter will still rake in millions by whining and being offended.

BTW, this is ethics not politics.

Comment

You are replicating any right wing grifters "arguments" about a change that likely does not affect you at all.

Yeah, language is changing in small steps, so what? After a generation its a non-issue, and snowflakes will get offended by the next thing, and grifter will still rake in millions by whining and being offended.

What? What the heck?

Comment

Not politics you say? It got spawned by the BLM-Riots, which are political. And instead of addressing the underlying problems superficial changes like these are made.

Not affecting me? Quite the opposite: This affects everybody using git: time which could have been spent doing productive stuff was wasted. And there surely some scripts which will stop working after the renaming. More time wasted.
            Worst of all: This is a sign to the busy bodies: If they scream loud enough the open source community bends over. They'll scream again, and then more time is wasted.

It's the same with movies: "They" scream sexism, female lead movies are made and they bomb. More screaming.. I don't care if they ruin Terminator / Star Wars / Ghost Busters.... I do care if they ruin Linux and open source in general.

The same with all the BLM-Logos which popped up on various projects (node.js etc).

Comment

Not politics you say? It got spawned by the BLM-Riots, which are political. And instead of addressing the underlying problems superficial changes like these are made.
              BLM was a protest, not a riot, and its about human rights. Yeah Politics should act on those aswell, but please tell me how politics is affecting a change in organizations?
              What are the underlying problems in your opinion? I mean other than you lacking a dictionary.

Not affecting me? Quite the opposite: This affects everybody using git: time which could have been spent doing productive stuff was wasted. And there surely some scripts which will stop working after the renaming. More time wasted.
              Worst of all: This is a sign to the busy bodies: If they scream loud enough the open source community bends over. They'll scream again, and then more time is wasted.
              In other words. vehemently oppose the "superficial changes" so more/bigger changes aren't possible. Got it.

It's the same with movies: "They" scream sexism, female lead movies are made and they bomb. More screaming.. I don't care if they ruin Terminator / Star Wars / Ghost Busters.... I do care if they ruin Linux and open source in general.

The same with all the BLM-Logos which popped up on various projects (node.js etc).
              You are free to leave, you are not free to impose your will onto others. Quite simple.

Comment

I had an unapproved post that seems to have vanished. Any idea what happened?

Comment

I find it funny that this does nothing at all to address any actual racism or to combat racists.

I don't want to go here but my Dad is an actual racist . I can't get through that Popeye's commercial without hearing about that N singing about his chicken and can't watch Price is Right without hearing about that fat gorilla looking N B getting called on down...I mean, just look up there, one white person and the rest are Ns a WBs (wet ____).

Yeah, changing master to main is totally gonna ensure that my Dad doesn't say "Fuckin' N's" because two black guys are walking together at Lowes while we're picking up materials

And if you say something to him about being so shitty and racist he'll hate on you and you become an N Lover. I held open a door 6 months back for a black delivery guy pulling a loaded down dolly and I'm still an N Lover

I'd like all you high and mighty master\main fucks to do something about the actual problem -- racist assholes like my Dad.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    and the raging of extremely sensitive people who cannot see that "master" is not used to refer to slavery in this context and that "black/white" are mere colors (when used in a proper context like "blacklist/whitelist") continues unabated too.
                    well modern people have no clue at all.. the opposit of Slave servant is not "Master" it is the Dominus.
                    means if we rename main/master to Dominus thats would imply the slave part.

in germany you do not only have master degree in university also in professional training jobs for example beeing master of car mechanics...

means in 99.99% of all cases master has nothing to do with slave whatsoever...

but the word Dominus is used in BDSM as the counterpart of slave

there is the Dominus who is give command to the slave in BDSM play...
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Whitelist/blacklist are metaphorical names that equate white with good/desirable and black with unwanted/disposable. These colour metaphors aren't shared universally, so names like allowlist/denylist are clearer in their intent. Not only does that make software projects with those terms a bit more welcoming for people who are sensitive about such matters, it's just good practice for software engineering!

As for main/master? The complaints about lost productivity aren't arguments against renaming from master -> main, but rather against users having the choice of what to name their default branch. At the point where it's configurable scripts need to avoid hard-coding default branch names anyway, whether the default in git itself is main or master.

Comment

Working...
                      X