Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.30-rc0 Released With More Work On "Main" Branch Renaming, Fixes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Git 2.30-rc0 Released With More Work On "Main" Branch Renaming, Fixes

    Phoronix: Git 2.30-rc0 Released With More Work On "Main" Branch Renaming, Fixes

    The initial test release of Git 2.30 is now available for evaluation of this distributed revision control system...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0-rc0-Released

  • #2
    Main, may I buy a pancake?

    Comment


    • #3
      The cringe fringe corruption of language continues.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Redfoxmoon View Post
        The cringe fringe corruption of language continues.
        and the raging of those stick-in-the-muds who cannot see that language has consequences continues unabated too.

        (I am sure those who speak different languages may well like to have one less English word they need to care about too)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by boxie View Post

          and the raging of those stick-in-the-muds who cannot see that language has consequences continues unabated too.

          (I am sure those who speak different languages may well like to have one less English word they need to care about too)
          and the raging of extremely sensitive people who cannot see that "master" is not used to refer to slavery in this context and that "black/white" are mere colors (when used in a proper context like "blacklist/whitelist") continues unabated too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by boxie View Post

            and the raging of those stick-in-the-muds who cannot see that language has consequences continues unabated too.

            (I am sure those who speak different languages may well like to have one less English word they need to care about too)
            Don't fool yourself, this is not about "language has consequences". It's about political control and virtue signalling. Or did you see hundreds of complaints about the master branch? Neither did I, nobody was complaining. Just some busy bodies with nothing else to "contribute" to the world being sick with their self inflicted white guilt.

            And I do speak other languages and I don't see why I would now not "care" about the word master. I have a master's degree after all, does my education also have "consequences"?

            If you are seriously offended by the word master, you're either > 100 years old or have an artificially thinned skin. Either way nobody I'd like to work with.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

              and the raging of extremely sensitive people who cannot see that "master" is not used to refer to slavery in this context and that "black/white" are mere colors (when used in a proper context like "blacklist/whitelist") continues unabated too.
              If only we all lived in societies where slavery never happened and racism wasn't a thing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by gabber View Post

                Don't fool yourself, this is not about "language has consequences". It's about political control and virtue signalling. Or did you see hundreds of complaints about the master branch? Neither did I, nobody was complaining. Just some busy bodies with nothing else to "contribute" to the world being sick with their self inflicted white guilt.

                And I do speak other languages and I don't see why I would now not "care" about the word master. I have a master's degree after all, does my education also have "consequences"?

                If you are seriously offended by the word master, you're either > 100 years old or have an artificially thinned skin. Either way nobody I'd like to work with.
                You know that virtue signalling happens all the time right? it's kinda baked into our world and it is not a bad thing in and of itself (don't smoke, obey the laws etc etc).

                As for political control? which political party is going to gain?

                I have in fact seen people being uncomfortable with a bunch of language - and you know what - language evolves!

                and yes, your education does have consequences - mainly for you and your chosen profession. Nicely done on your higher education (go you)!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by gabber View Post
                  Don't fool yourself, this is not about "language has consequences". It's about political control and virtue signalling. Or did you see hundreds of complaints about the master branch? Neither did I, nobody was complaining. Just some busy bodies with nothing else to "contribute" to the world being sick with their self inflicted white guilt.

                  And I do speak other languages and I don't see why I would now not "care" about the word master. I have a master's degree after all, does my education also have "consequences"?

                  If you are seriously offended by the word master, you're either > 100 years old or have an artificially thinned skin. Either way nobody I'd like to work with.
                  "political control", "virtue signalling", "white guilt".

                  Seeing how seriously you are afraid by a simple change, and trying to gain some right wing pocket change using all trigger words, Id say you are older than 100 and this is overdue.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by boxie View Post

                    If only we all lived in societies where slavery never happened and racism wasn't a thing.
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again. How long before we stop using the colour red to make errors more eye-catching because it offends native peoples? ...or yellow for warnings/caution because of America's history with "the yellow peril"?

                    It helps no one to apply elementary school logic and stigmatize all uses of a word based on one of its uses and it impairs our ability to communicate effectively.

                    It just spins the euphemism treadmill ever faster and medical jargon like Idiot/Moron/etc. gets replaced with Retarded, which gets replaced with "Person with Special Needs" which becomes "What are ya? Special?" because people refuse to accept that simple solutions don't fix complex problems.

                    I'll let George Carlin make the point better than I can.

                    (TL;DR: Euphemisms aren't about fixing problems. They're about disconnecting us from the emotional discomfort that should be driving us to fix the problem. "I'll betcha, if we'd still been calling it shell shock, some of those Vietnam veterans might have gotten the help they needed at the time.")

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X