No announcement yet.

Wasmer 1.0 Beta Released For Running WebAssembly Code Anywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why should I ran WebAssembly on the desktop? For instance, it wouldn't make any sense to do this for languages like C#, C++, Go, Rust and so on, because they run on the desktop anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dirlewanger88

Do you even code, bro? Doubt it.
      Actually, I'm in the middle of cleaning up and modernizing my projects.

Here's the serious project I made a release of earlier this year: http://ssokolow.com/quicktile/

I also recently wrote some trivial little utilities, like this clipboard/DnD tester and this binary data visualizer while working on the two PyQt hobby projects I'm hoping to release soon. (A GUI for rapid human-assisted OCRing of manga to feed the text to Google Translate and some tile atlas management tooling for a retro platformer I've decided to write using Godot.)

As for Rust, I'm currently working on a high-reliability tool for batch-checking files for corruption using whatever internal checksumming capabilities they have and I've already released a few little tidbits:
      • A word-wise iterator for CamelCase for a not-yet-released heuristic "guess a decent title string from a file/folder name" function.
      • A function to escape invalid UTF-8 so it can be stored in JSON, where all valid UTF-8 except null bytes passes through unchanged. (And, since I wrote it for storing POSIX paths in JSON, that means that all valid UTF-8 will pass through unchanged in practice.)
      • A starter template for command-line utilities.
      ...and that's not even considering other languages, like shell-scripting (I just wrote an "incognito mode" script for my Zsh), or the Greasemonkey userscripts I've written, like my GOG.com Sale Helper or my MobyGames screenshot pixel aspect-ratio corrector.

What have you coded recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post
        Why should I ran WebAssembly on the desktop? For instance, it wouldn't make any sense to do this for languages like C#, C++, Go, Rust and so on, because they run on the desktop anyway.
        A sandboxed, portable binary format with near-native performance that you can compile C, C++, and Rust to. Basically, it's trying to be a better Java than Java.

Also, pinging for an unapproved comment.

P.S. To head off a possible reply to the first comment (at the moment, unapproved and, thus, uneditable), yes, I do also code in C. I have a DOS retro-hobby project I've been meaning to get back to where I'm writing an analogue to Inno Setup or NSIS but for DOS.
        Last edited by ssokolow; 05 December 2020, 09:51 AM.

Comment

If Rust got garbage collection, it'd collect itself.
          This is the comment of the year.

Because it's fact too.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

A sandboxed, portable binary format with near-native performance that you can compile C, C++, and Rust to. Basically, it's trying to be a better Java than Java.
            My quoted languages are also portable and a sandbox is a restriction for me as a developer.

Comment

My quoted languages are also portable and a sandbox is a restriction for me as a developer.
              Portability of WebAssembly which is a binary instruction format and portability of carefully written source code are two different things.

Restrictions on the developers is precisely the point of all the sandboxing systems.

Comment

Disregarded. Garbage language.
                No, Rust exists to prevent garbage

Comment

WA is not a high level programming language. It is a low level instruction set for an abstract virtual machine. The idea is that WA binary code can be converted into actual native instructions by a (hopefully) thin intermediate runtime program, such as Wasmtime, Wasmer, etc.

Even though you can treat WA as a portable assembly language and program directly with it, it is not meant to be used llike that. It is supposed to be the compile target of other high level languages. Like someone else said here, it is like a better jvm. JVM is tied to the Java language, garbage collector design and other baggage that make it orders of magnitute more bloated than WA. However, and this is my prediction, just like java, WA originated in the browser but it is more probable to flourish and reign in other environments such as the server or the desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Actually, I'm in the middle of cleaning up and modernizing my projects.

Here's the serious project I made a release of earlier this year: http://ssokolow.com/quicktile/

I also recently wrote some trivial little utilities, like this clipboard/DnD tester and this binary data visualizer while working on the two PyQt hobby projects I'm hoping to release soon. (A GUI for rapid human-assisted OCRing of manga to feed the text to Google Translate and some tile atlas management tooling for a retro platformer I've decided to write using Godot.)

As for Rust, I'm currently working on a high-reliability tool for batch-checking files for corruption using whatever internal checksumming capabilities they have and I've already released a few little tidbits:
                    • A word-wise iterator for CamelCase for a not-yet-released heuristic "guess a decent title string from a file/folder name" function.
                    • A function to escape invalid UTF-8 so it can be stored in JSON, where all valid UTF-8 except null bytes passes through unchanged. (And, since I wrote it for storing POSIX paths in JSON, that means that all valid UTF-8 will pass through unchanged in practice.)
                    • A starter template for command-line utilities.
                    ...and that's not even considering other languages, like shell-scripting (I just wrote an "incognito mode" script for my Zsh), or the Greasemonkey userscripts I've written, like my GOG.com Sale Helper or my MobyGames screenshot pixel aspect-ratio corrector.

What have you coded recently?
                    Thanks for moving people from python to rust !
                    You fit the mantra: "Ask not what linux can do for you, but what it is I can do for linux."

Comment

It does a great job of that to be honest. It attracts all the low IQ, wannabe systems programmers, so they stay away from serious languages.
                      As far as I know that is known as C++.

Comment

Working...
                      X