No announcement yet.

PHP 8.0 Officially Released With Many Language Additions, Better Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PHP 8.0 Officially Released With Many Language Additions, Better Performance

Phoronix: PHP 8.0 Officially Released With Many Language Additions, Better Performance

PHP 8.0 is out today as expected as a major update to this widely-used programming language for server-side programming and other purposes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"PJP 8.0 introduces an optional JIT compiler," <= An easy to spot typo.

Comment

Is it even morally sound to develop this ungodly language anymore with however many untold millions this language has cost developers and users in SQL injection attacks alone?

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
        Peanut butter Jelly Preprocessor?

Comment

I used to code PHP lots back in the days, but nowadays I barerly touch PHP at all and its mostly other languages that I tend to code in, but I've been following the progress of PHP for every release, and I feel its a bit unfortunate that I don't code more PHP than I do, because it has gotten so much better, and it gets better for every release, and PHP 8 looks great!

I really like the direction it is going, and all the improvements! 👍️

It would be pretty cool if strings were objects though, so you could do things like "Hello!".reverse() or "Hello!".length() and such.

It would also be better if namespaces were better used and less pollution of the global namespace.

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
            I sleep

Wait Michael May I get a copy of the original article with the typo?
            Last edited by tildearrow; 26 November 2020, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
              Is it even morally sound to develop this ungodly language anymore with however many untold millions this language has cost developers and users in SQL injection attacks alone?
              That kind of issue is caused by the developer, not the language. Anyone who blames the hammer because it hit their thumb is an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

That kind of issue is caused by the developer, not the language. Anyone who blames the hammer because it hit their thumb is an idiot.
                It is not an issue of developers.

In fact it is an issue of weekly typed strings used for everything, and poor quality of tutorials and documentation.

PHP is easy language to start with, and you can start writing with it in 5 minutes. And allow for quick iteration, just refresh the page. This low barrier of entry, compared to Python, Ruby, Perl, Go, etc, is why it is so popular. But that also means PHP will often be a first programming language a person learns. So a lot of tutorials will also be sketchy and quick to keep you going. All this compounds to make your not the best programmer, not aware of issues.

A lot of problems with SQL injections, and even a lot of XSS issues, can be solved on the language and library level, or at the typing system level. But that would complicate interfaces a little, and the language itself, making it less forgiving to novice users.

Comment

I still use it for...

for a html webpage with a svg graph that I convert to an image with inkscape,
                  then

to php script build a report with shiny/pretty image graphs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kver View Post

Languages are for humans to use, humans will make mistakes. The entire point of a language is to help humans not make mistakes, otherwise we'd all just be writing in raw microcode. If a language does not prevent people from making as many mistakes as possible, that language has failed. It's why C is being replaced by about 50 different languages, it's why TypeScript is becoming more popular than JavaScript. Blaming the user on making a mistake is naive and ignorant.

Comment

Working...
                    X