Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimized Compiler Builds Are Well Worth It For Intel Tiger Lake

Phoronix: Optimized Compiler Builds Are Well Worth It For Intel Tiger Lake

Making use of "-march=tigerlake" for building optimized binaries catering to Intel's latest-generation processors is well worth it on the likes of GCC 11. Out of the new instruction set extensions on Tiger Lake is more uplift than we have seen out of recent Intel generations and comparing the different "-march=" targets shows significant performance benefits if you don't mind compiling your own software from source.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Or just buy a Ryzen laptop and get a real huge performance gain for less money

Comment

That almost have to be the instruction scheduling. Most of the instruction set extensions match those of Icelake. Only AVX512-VP2INTERSECT and MOVDIR are new.

Edit: doesn't look like gcc was any tiger specific scheduling. Perhaps it is the instructions it shares with icelake-server over lcelake-client that makes the difference. Interesting results in any case.
      Last edited by carewolf; 09 November 2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
        Or just buy a Ryzen laptop and get a real huge performance gain for less money
        TGL has a much higher single-threaded performance than Ryzen 4000 APUs (Zen 2 cores) and absolute most people don't use more than a few cores, so "a real huge performance gain" is BS, sorry, unless you encode, render, compile or run other massively multi-threaded tasks which again is not what absolute most people do.

I wonder why even the article about Intel/TGL is hijacked by rabid AMD fans. Don't you have better things in life to do, than peddle the products of the company which doesn't pay you a single cent for your efforts? Damn, AMD's cult following has become simply disgusting recently.

Comment

Do any existing package managers include a way to have 'tuned' sub-arches for packages? It would be nice to be able to tell APT that you want 'the Haswell' or 'the AVX-512' or 'the Cortex-A72' set of packages for your distro.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

TGL has a much higher single-threaded performance than Ryzen 4000 APUs (Zen 2 cores) and absolute most people don't use more than a few cores, so "a real huge performance gain" is BS, sorry, unless you encode, render, compile or run other massively multi-threaded tasks which again is not what absolute most people do.

I wonder why even the article about Intel/TGL is hijacked by rabid AMD fans. Don't you have better things in life to do, than peddle the products of the company which doesn't pay you a single cent for your efforts? Damn, AMD's cult following has become simply disgusting recently.
            I would say that most of this sites users would benefit of more cores. i Love it for my workloads and woumd never go back to a boring intel laptop. The whole AMD experience is just so much better...

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It was one post. That you could just roll your eyes and ignore. But instead you responded as if you were personally attacked by an angry mob of at least a dozen. Jesus eff man.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post

It was one post. That you could just roll your eyes and ignore. But instead you responded as if you were personally attacked by an angry mob of at least a dozen. Jesus eff man.
                It was 100% off-topic and unwarranted. If the guy suggested that people looking for high MT performance could be better served by Ryzen 4000 APU laptops, I'd ignore him as it's indeed the case. Instead he made a blanket and false statement. That boiled my blood, sorry, but I'll try to be calmer next time, you're right

Comment

Reading the article, the only thing I could think about was https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...Feature-Levels
                  Most machines I've touched in the last years have been haswell+ (level C, probably)

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
                    Do any existing package managers include a way to have 'tuned' sub-arches for packages? It would be nice to be able to tell APT that you want 'the Haswell' or 'the AVX-512' or 'the Cortex-A72' set of packages for your distro.
                    Maybe Gentoo is for you

Comment

Working...
                    X