Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pyston v2 Released As ~20% Faster Than Python 3.8

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pyston v2 Released As ~20% Faster Than Python 3.8

    Phoronix: Pyston v2 Released As ~20% Faster Than Python 3.8

    Version 2.0 of Pyston is now available, the Python implementation originally started by Dropbox that builds on LLVM JIT for offering faster Python performance...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ton-2-Released

  • #2
    After almost 4 years of (non)development they jumped from version 0.6.1 to version 2.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by danger View Post
      After almost 4 years of (non)development they jumped from version 0.6.1 to version 2.
      They are working with the Gnome devs clearly... next version will be 20!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by zexelon View Post
        They are working with the Gnome devs clearly... next version will be 20!
        After a quick look, they've apparently scrapped the whole v1 code base (seems it targeted Python2 compatibility) and began from scratch with Python3 in mind and that's why it's 2.0.

        Gnome 40 is just stupid.

        Comment


        • #5
          What's the point ?
          If you need speed, why are you fumbling around with Python ?
          And why should punny 20% matter ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            What's the point ?
            If you need speed, why are you fumbling around with Python ?
            Because on some workloads, even the high-level language duck-tape that holds together the performant-critical part written in C/C++ starts to have an impact ?

            Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
            And why should punny 20% matter ?
            Well it's still something. Optimizing high-level scripting languages which are liberal with their approach to types isn't a really task.

            (and as you're suggesting the really performance critical part that require bigger improvement would benefit mostly from being rewritten in C/C++, in Rust or in Go).


            (Saying this as a C/C++ developper who prefers Perl over Python).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DrYak View Post

              Because on some workloads, even the high-level language duck-tape that holds together the performant-critical part written in C/C++ starts to have an impact ?
              Vehicle safety regulations in your country must be a thrilling bestseller.
              Car, in which duct tape applied actually has significant influence in end effect performance is something I don't want to see.

              Typical python-based package:
              http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1739851/im...E-facebook.jpg
              Last edited by Brane215; 28 October 2020, 06:44 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Brane215 View Post
                What's the point ?
                If you need speed, why are you fumbling around with Python ?
                And why should punny 20% matter ?
                Performance is in a spectrum, otherwise we will all be only writing assembly code. There are already millions of lines of existing Python code and for some 20% performance is more than sufficient.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

                  Performance is in a spectrum, otherwise we will all be only writing assembly code. There are already millions of lines of existing Python code and for some 20% performance is more than sufficient.
                  Why not go all the way ? Use plain English and tell Siri what you need.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It doesn't appear that it uses LLVM any more. The Pyston web site claims it uses DynASM, which was developed for LuaJIT.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X