Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat's Tom Stellard Now Serving As LLVM Release Manager

Phoronix: Red Hat's Tom Stellard Now Serving As LLVM Release Manager

After six years serving as the LLVM release manager and taking over the role from LLVM founder Chris Lattner, Google's Hans Wennborg has stepped down from his position and handed it over to Red Hat's Tom Stellard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My congrats and/or condolences for his new position to Tom. Chasing all these merge requests and bugs will be fun!

Comment

Good to see llvm in good hands!

Comment

Best of luck to him but I would like to see someone from FreeBSD or OpenBSD lead the LLVM Clang project because this C/C++ compiler suite is the de facto compilers for all the BSDs and I worry about Red Hat running LLVM into the ground because they use GCC in Fedora and RHEL and CentOS.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
          Best of luck to him but I would like to see someone from FreeBSD or OpenBSD lead the LLVM Clang project because this C/C++ compiler suite is the de facto compilers for all the BSDs and I worry about Red Hat running LLVM into the ground because they use GCC in Fedora and RHEL and CentOS.
          That doesn't make much sense. If they were only using GCC, they wouldn't be funding anyone to work on LLVM. They use both. Also the BSD's in general don't have anywhere near as much corporate support and are unlikely to be leading such efforts.

Comment

IBM controling

Comment

There are a couple of things to note. First, llvm has been used as a backend for a number of important technologies (rust, bpf, mesa llvmpipe to name a few), a number of companies have been using llvm (especially) for their aarch64 kernel, and while RH may primarily uses gcc for their kernel and userland today, the pieces are being put in place to be more compiler agnostic in the processes, letting the best solution be chosen for the use case at some future date (and one should not presume that will always be gcc for all cases, and in fact some apps today will, in practice, only compile with llvm). So llvm is an important piece of the future of linux, and RH is willing to actively participate (by paying staff) to be part of that future. That can only be goodness. And if others have the appropriate resources available to step up and step in I am sure another transition will eventually happen (release manager tends to be a job that one wants out of at some point (that is part of the condolences that ms178 alluded to)).

Comment

I would like to see someone from FreeBSD or OpenBSD lead the LLVM Clang project because this C/C++ compiler suite is
                being developed too fast and you want to slow it down?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                  IBM controling
                  apple/google compiler? and you want to protect them from evil ibm?

Comment

Working...
                  X