Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenJ9 0.23 Released As Latest Eclipse Java Virtual Machine

Phoronix: OpenJ9 0.23 Released As Latest Eclipse Java Virtual Machine

Version 0.23 of the Eclipse OpenJ9 Java Virtual Machine was released this week in continuing to focus on being a high performance, open-source JVM...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    from the the virtual machine

Comment

BTW ‘youtube-dl’ was removed from GitHub by RIAA takedown notice.

Unrelated but didn't know where to write.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I agree! Youtube-dl is more important.

Michael, please make a news item about it!

RIAA, DMCA, GitHub, Microsoft, Google, Open Source, Python...

Think about it! The perfect soap opera drama

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It is still available in the Debian repository, and in the Ubuntu repository too.

I guess the developer could move to Gitee (a chinese Git source code forge).

I wish there would be a Git source code forge based in Russia or India. Or maybe based in Africa or on Tor. Too many of the source code hosting forges are based in USA.

Comment

All these OpenJ* releases can't run my HP iLO client applet.
            For this I still require Oracle Java.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I wish there would be a Git source code forge based in Russia or India. Or maybe based in Africa or on Tor. Too many of the source code hosting forges are based in USA.
              Definitely.

Comment

It is still available in the Debian repository, and in the Ubuntu repository too.

I guess the developer could move to Gitee (a chinese Git source code forge).

It requires frequent updates to deal with YouTube adding new obfuscation schemes to their player. The longer you leave it without an update, the larger the slice of YouTube starts to return "Error. Please report this to the youtube-dl developers" messages.

That said, I'm not giving up either. I've been boycotting the RIAA, MPAA, and DRM-only games since 2005. If YouTube videos become something I can't easily keep a copy of, I'll just stop watching YouTube videos.

Maybe I'll finally start to catch up on the backlog of used novels and GOG.com games I own. (But probably not. I'll probably just spend more time programming. At the moment, I'm working on a tool to make it as quick and easy as possible to reliably OCR text from Pixiv images and then paste it into Google Translate... because Bing Translator is garbage and Yandex.Translate bans Tor users if they try to OCR more than a page or two.)
                Last edited by ssokolow; 24 October 2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I wish there would be a Git source code forge based in Russia
                  you shouldn't wish anything based in terrorist states

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    That said, I'm not giving up either. I've been boycotting the RIAA, MPAA, and DRM-only games since 2005. If YouTube videos become something I can't easily keep a copy of, I'll just stop watching YouTube videos.
                    Agreed. I do understand there are a lot in this community who are fans of Valve's Steam DRM platform but unfortunately the more money they give to Valve, the stronger future DRM gets. DRM vendors also work together, so if one gets more powerful, they sell the technology to others and the whole criminal ecosystem gets more restrictive.

If we could all get together and boycott Steam for just a few years, it could be eliminated because they would realize they would have no market until they remove the crippleware. The problem is, people seem to be terrified of having to play with a wooden ball and cup for a few years. In some ways I lose respect for people who need constant stimulus from the latest games or movies and can't enjoy what they already have.

Youtube is an easy one to sacrifice for me. I have always hated "short funny videos". Back in the flash era, it was almost nice having an excuse not to watch it when people send me a stupid Youtube link with a grin on their face like it is the best thing in the world.
                    As for useful videos (such as conferences, programming discussions), these are always on other platforms as well. Such as the upstream developers or conference organizer.

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    you shouldn't wish anything based in terrorist states
                    C'mon, just because their president poisons people and isn't orange; doesn't mean they are a terrorist state. Take my country for instance; the UK prime minister is looking to poison *everyone* with COVID before the year is up. He is also not orange and yet the US still seems to love the UK like the pet dog it is .
                    Last edited by kpedersen; 24 October 2020, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X