Qt 6.0 Beta Released For This Big Toolkit Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post
    I've been using Fedora since RedHat 5.0 and it's "bleeding edge" maybe in the first 2-4 weeks after a new release. After that, it all calms down.
    I only meant it adopts stuff quicker than most and that makes it a little unstable at times.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
    The dude to which DanL replied was talking about Debian-based systems, to which KDE Neon is a decent alternative in that realm, so not sure why you're dragging Arch and Suse into this...
    Because Neon comes with its own issues (it's tied to Ubuntu LTS) and I don't know if it cuts it for Danny3. I was in the same boat, I stuck with Neon for a while, but in the end I just said "screw this" and jumped ship.

Comment

I wonder why so few people use Fedora:

Code:
      rpm -q qt5-qtbase
      qt5-qtbase-5.14.2-5.fc32.x86_64
      Fedora 33 (should be released next week) comes with Qt 5.15.1 (and vulkan support is now enabled, too).

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

Fedora 33 (should be released next week) comes with Qt 5.15.1 (and vulkan support is now enabled, too).
        Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, especially since most packages have been built using LTO, so theoretically everything should be faster.

Comment

Yeah, I'm looking forward to it, especially since most packages have been built using LTO, so theoretically everything should be faster.
          Faster would be better, but, as always, your specific application will vary, as the analysis from the beginning of the year on Phoronix demonstrated (in some cases LTO'd programs were slower).

FWIW, it is looking like the official Fedora 33 release is going to slip two weeks now (they will not release on US Election day), as the shim rebuild (necessitated due to an early UEFI certificate revocation update by a different Linux distribution) is highly unlikely to make the fallback approval review date for a release next week.

Update to update: Fedora 33 will be released next week after all, now that canonical backed away from their premature revocation.
          Last edited by CommunityMember; 22 October 2020, 02:55 PM. Reason: F33 release is now a go

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Wow, Qt 6 beta is out and Kubuntu is not even on 5.13, or 5.14, or 5.15
            It's so way behind that makes me wanna cry...
            And the whole Linux different package managers crap makes me not have an option to switch to a non Debian based distro.

It would be very nice if this new Qt toolkit would give a little hand to the KDE developers to support better / faster Wayland / Vulkan and multi-monitor with different resolutions and refresh rates setups.
            Well technically you can install whatever "package manager" you want on other distros like Arch via AUR, it's just not ideal. Or you can just use alien or whatever to repackage things.

Edit:

(Don't go down the rabbit hole if you're not in for a ride)
            Last edited by ElectricPrism; 20 October 2020, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

That's what KDE Neon is for.
              It's not a distro, it's a hack, I used to use it but I've had enough of it.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

It's not a distro, it's a hack, I used to use it but I've had enough of it.
                I don't know, it's pretty sweet seeing how much there is to gain, compared to Kubuntu. I only moved on because I was tired of dealing with what seemed like and endless number of PPAs.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's got nothing to do with Qt (though Fedora is all about Gnome). Fedora is kind of bleeding edge and you usually don't want that at home. But it's great for developers, precisely because it's bleeding edge.
                  Debian and Ubuntu also carry ancient Qt...
                  Unless you're running 20.10 two days early - it has 5.14.2 like Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post

Unless you're running 20.10 two days early - it has 5.14.2 like Fedora.
                    Fedora 33 is on Qt 5.15.1 (http://fedora.inode.at/development/3...os/Packages/q/)
                    And Idk about Fedora, but 20.10 will live and die with 5.14.2. You can get newer KDE through updates, but never newer Qt ime.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                      Wow, Qt 6 beta is out and Kubuntu is not even on 5.13, or 5.14, or 5.15
                      It's so way behind that makes me wanna cry...
                      Better to be on 5.12 LTS than 5.13 or 5.14.

Comment

Working...
                      X