GCC 11 Ending Feature Development In One Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    So when does Rust gets standardized and included as part of GCC and LLVM?
    As far as I know all effort to standardize Rust is being resisted by the developer on the grounds that it would inhibit flexibility and the language itself is changing too frequently. There are no deep-pocketed big names behind any standardization effort. It's like C++ in the early 1990s.

As to providing a toolchain other than LLVM, it's not technically possible yet. The language development itself is locked into the LLVM toolchain and all attempts at adapting another toolchain to the language so far have required using LLVM as the toolchain. Yes, that sort of defeats the purpose, but there is a serious effort underway to develop an LLVM-based Rust front end for GCC.

A true alternative implementation of Rust would require standardizing the language so an implementation can be written and qualified to the standard. That's just not even on the horizon yet. The closest you can get is to freeze the version used in your container, which is fine to toys or maybe web apps at a startup but not too useful for safety or security applications or organizations with lawyers on the payroll.

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
      As far as I know all effort to standardize Rust is being resisted by the developer on the grounds that it would inhibit flexibility and the language itself is changing too frequently. There are no deep-pocketed big names behind any standardization effort. It's like C++ in the early 1990s.
      c++ standardization effort started in late 1980s. as usual people make some claims about rust in relation to c++ without knowledge of c++

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        c++ standardization effort started in late 1980s. as usual people make some claims about rust in relation to c++ without knowledge of c++
        The C++ Committee wasn't even founded until 1990 after the release of "The Annotated C++ Reference Manual" which was the basis of the standardisation in 1998...

Comment

GGC is fine tool. But we really need as developers and users support for the Language-Server-Protocol within GCC.
          Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Every editor, plugin, IDE can only use LLVM for this. Despite it is possible to configure LLVM and GCC to same settings, headers and libraries - I really appreciate the completions, hints and warnings from the compiler actually in use. The care a lot about languages, libraries, error reporting and correctness (-fsanitize) but user support is lacking behind. The missing completions are what hurts me most and I'm also eagerly waiting for built-in LSP support in NVIM "0.5" (there a lot of well working plugins already).

I was surprised that the probably most notorious person within the FSF expressed the need for this. I know the old stories about "no external interfaces" which maybe lead into this situation but that it - GCC users will benefit from an external interface.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
            The C++ Committee wasn't even founded until 1990
            ANSI X3J16 committee was founded in 1989. and committee doesn't form out of thin air, effort started in 1988

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
              ANSI X3J16 committee was founded in 1989. and committee doesn't form out of thin air, effort started in 1988
              That is the committee that was formed in 1990 according to cppreference.com and the one that I was commenting on earlier. Then the ISO committee was founded in 1991.

Comment

That is the committee that was formed in 1990
                https://www.google.com/search?q=ANSI...+December+1989

Comment

And the first response in Google is :-)

ANSI C++ Committee Meeting, March 12-16, 1990
                  But all of this for +/- 1year starts to get really really silly

Comment

And the first response in Google is :-)
                    for me first response highlights query string, organizational meeting was held in december 1989

Comment

Working...
                    X