Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenJDK 15 Reaches GA With Garbage Collector Promotions, Tossing Out Solaris + SPARC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenJDK 15 Reaches GA With Garbage Collector Promotions, Tossing Out Solaris + SPARC

Phoronix: OpenJDK 15 Reaches GA With Garbage Collector Promotions, Tossing Out Solaris + SPARC

OpenJDK 15 is out today as the latest general availability release for this open-source Java implementation...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm just truckin' right along with Java 8 and Kotlin.

Comment

Why can't we just have a normal CLI? I mean, having to type -XX:+UseZGC to change the default GC is a bit annoying. e.g. --gc=zgc would be so neat.

Comment

multi-line strings fu** yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by wswartzendruber View Post
          I'm just truckin' right along with Java 8 and Kotlin.
          Heh, there are now 7 major Java releases before JDK 8 and also 7 more recent releases. LTS17 will be released in a year so it'll be soon time to switch from LTS11.

Comment

Originally posted by Dovi View Post
            Why can't we just have a normal CLI? I mean, having to type -XX:+UseZGC to change the default GC is a bit annoying. e.g. --gc=zgc would be so neat.
            Well, Java does have a sane CLI, you only need -X or -XX syntax for experimental/nonstandard options. Why is ZGC both promoted to stable and kept behind -XX is beyond me though. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a sign that, despite releases becoming extremely thin, there aren't enough people left to implement the slightest change properly. Like seriously, something as simple as "do not garbage collect" really needed a "preview" stage?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              ... Like seriously, something as simple as "do not garbage collect" really needed a "preview" stage?
              It's a little more complicated than that...start here to dip your toe in the issues: https://www.pscp.tv/javazone/1RDGlNjmjgNxL

Comment

Why depreciate for SPARC64 and Solaris are the open source Solaris projects not important?

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix
                  Removal of Solaris support for SPARC and x86_64. The Linux SPARC support has been removed too... For OpenJDK it's game over for Solaris and SPARC after it was deprecated in JDK 14
                  About time too.

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                  Why depreciate for SPARC64 and Solaris are the open source Solaris projects not important?
                  Do you see any commercial deployments or marketshare for Solaris or SPACR64 hardware platforms that does not look like a rounding error?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    To be fair, if it's a company using Solaris, they're probably using an OpenJDK that's at least a dozen major versions behind this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X