Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Phoronix: Erlang Is Seeing Work On "BeamAsm" - A JIT Compiler Yielding Much Performance Uplift

Lukas Larsson of Erlang Solutions is proposing "BeamAsm" as a JIT compiler for the Erlang virtual machine...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ng-JIT-BeamAsm

Cool. When I was working with Elixir, straight line performance was a big issue.

Comment

Very good response to the fact that pretty much all Elixir companies need to use libraries written in a different pre-compiled language for performance reasons. Discord is practically making a business out of writing Rust NIFs.

Erlang really is an absolute mess with how it's implemented, with the fact that the compiler does all the optimizations instead of the runtime. I know it's a "happy accident" story kind of like JavaScript, but seriously, some of the decisions that went into Erlang just seem outright backwards. I highly respect Joe Armstrong, but I swear at least on a few occasions when making Erlang he asked himself "what makes the most sense to do here and how can I do the exact opposite of that"

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
        Very good response to the fact that pretty much all Elixir companies need to use libraries written in a different pre-compiled language for performance reasons. Discord is practically making a business out of writing Rust NIFs.

Erlang really is an absolute mess with how it's implemented, with the fact that the compiler does all the optimizations instead of the runtime. I know it's a "happy accident" story kind of like JavaScript, but seriously, some of the decisions that went into Erlang just seem outright backwards. I highly respect Joe Armstrong, but I swear at least on a few occasions when making Erlang he asked himself "what makes the most sense to do here and how can I do the exact opposite of that"
        Joe Armstrong was brilliant, but writing C like it's lisp is... Not the most praiseworthy strategy.

Comment

Joe Armstrong didn't write the BEAM. It was called Bogdan's Erlang Abstract Machine for a reason. He wrote the first implementation in Prolog.

Comment

Working...
          X