Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt 6.0 Now Under Feature Freeze

Phoronix: Qt 6.0 Now Under Feature Freeze

The Qt Company has announced the feature freeze for the big Qt 6.0 toolkit milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz
    As far as I understand Qt plans to stop open source Qt5 releases as soon as Qt6 is released.
    Everything is and will stay public in git repos
    Do you need something more?

Comment

As far as I understand Qt plans to stop open source Qt5 releases as soon as Qt6 is released.
      The Qt company is the most friendly, community focused company on this planet,
      They would NEVER do something like this, they would never threatening the community that is the sole reason for its existence and continued relevance. The KDE Free Qt contract is the most safest contract ever and there are zero loopholes but it isn't needed any ways as the Qt Company is so damn friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by miskol View Post

Everything is and will stay public in git repos
        Do you need something more?
        Maybe KDE will need the bugfixes and security updates the Qt company from now on only grants buying customers for those 5 years it will take for the KDE 5 -> 6 transition.

Comment

There's little to understand and the news is old. LTS releases are going to be commercial only, which means maintenance releases after Qt 5.15.2 won't be available.
          IMHO this will cause some kind of community fork and backport of at least the fixes introduced after 5.15.2, which will be available from Qt 6.x.x sources.
          But then again this is probably going to affect a little share of their users (myself included), because big corporations use the commercial version and distributions usually don't care that much about LTS versions. In a couple of years will see how the issue will be addressed by Kubuntu 22.04 and openSUSE 16

Comment

miskol I haven’t seen Qt make that promise. Got a source?
            I am not aware about your statement from Qt company

Comment

miskol I haven’t seen Qt make that promise. Got a source?
              Read the Qt Blog. Long story short is, starting with 5.15LTS, Qt LTS releases have 3 years of commercial support and Qt Stable releases will continue to be free and open source. It's a fair compromise.

To put it in GTK terms -- they're letting people pay to stay on GTK2 when the rest of the world has moved on to GTK3 and is planning to move on to GTK4.

Comment

Not that comprehension was ever a forte of yours...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Maybe KDE will need the bugfixes and security updates the Qt company from now on only grants buying customers for those 5 years it will take for the KDE 5 -> 6 transition.
                  About all this might effect is the KDE LTS releases. But, even so, Qt is trying their ass off to make Qt 6.0 and 5.15 LTS to be close to the same thing, outside of where they have to remove old code, to make updating code to 6.0 easier. All that says to me is that KDE Plasma LTS releases will likely start to be based on Qt Stable Point releases since there is no rule saying that KDE LTS has to be tied to Qt LTS. It's either that or a lot of us KDE users need to band together and have a bake sale to raise money for the KDE Foundation to buy a Commercial License specifically for KDE LTS Releases.

Comment

Just upgraded my dev setup to Qt 5.15, almost no breakage since Qt 5.6, just had to fix a couple of lines of code. I am staying on 5.15 for years probably. I build Qt from source so I am not particularly affected by any distro packages or their Qt online installer (which is crap anyway).

Comment

Working...
                    X