No announcement yet.

Ruby on Rails 6.0 Slated For Fedora 33

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes languages see a resurgence but I don't expect that Ruby will ever displace Python now. It had its chance but as its popularity grew, people realised it didn't scale very well and walked away. The performance has improved a lot since then but it's still behind most similar languages. I sometimes have to work with Python. I find it horribly inconsistent in places but it gets the job done. My heart belongs to Rust now though. I had to write a command-line tool that connected to a HTTP API recently and it was a joyous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
      Sometimes languages see a resurgence but I don't expect that Ruby will ever displace Python now. It had its chance but as its popularity grew, people realised it didn't scale very well and walked away. The performance has improved a lot since then but it's still behind most similar languages. I sometimes have to work with Python. I find it horribly inconsistent in places but it gets the job done. My heart belongs to Rust now though. I had to write a command-line tool that connected to a HTTP API recently and it was a joyous experience.
      Fine. I can't see any role for these things past duct-tape one shot things.
      Perhaps Python/Ruby would be ideal replacement for bash. That is, if they managed to agree upon some "golden" long term version that could be used for such purpose.
      Otherwise, I can't remember one project, done in python, worth of public use and with solid machine useage.
      That aside, many are constant support headache etc.

Finally, looking at the things that they are used on, one often can't evade the question why haven't this been done in C or, if one wants to be modern and "safe", Rust.

Comment

Ruby and rails are both very widely used and even growing. The distro packaged libraries and gems are useless though. I'm a full time ruby dev and I've worked at many shops, and no one has ever even considered using distro packages for either development or deployment.

Ruby devs use things like chruby/rbenv/rvm/asdf/etc to manage multiple ruby versions at once, which are run as the user and either compiled from source or download pre-compiled binaries. On the rare occasion I use my system ruby I only ever install the base package and use `sudo gem install pry` to install something like pry instead of apt/rpm.

Virtually every single ruby project has it's dependencies managed by bundler, so, agian, distro packages are useless, and bundler works easier when run non-root, so system ruby is out anyways. The packages aren't relevant to deployments either.

I don't really understand why any gem-as-package packages exist. Ruby already includes the `gem` command and an expansive stdlib, so bootstrapping from there is straightfoward and where all the docs point you. Is reliance on the language's own package system for extensibility really a danger to distro users? Who is the audience for these?

Comment

I would consider using the system Ruby if it wasn't too old but it depends on the context. I mostly work with Docker now, where I just use the upstream Passenger image.

As I have said, gems as packages may make sense for end-user applications where the user doesn't care what language it was written in but there aren't very many of those for Ruby. sup springs to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by existensil View Post
            Ruby and rails are both very widely used and even growing. The distro packaged libraries and gems are useless though.
            Which makes it unuseable for mere mortals ?
            I have constant headaches woth ruby on gentoo, without obvious reason why is it even used.
            Too many dependencies and incompatible versions for code snippets, that could have been easily written in r Rust.( or C/C++).

I can understand why e.g. Freecad depends on opencascade or vtk. Those are two big libraries that one needs in CAD program of such nature.
            Why have they went with Python and its bazillion dependencies is beyond me.
            Same with ruby and other crowds ( haskell etc).

Why on earth would one write something that is to be generically used in such language, is beyond me.

Comment

Working...
            X