Arm Backporting SLS Vulnerability Mitigation To Existing GCC Releases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arm Backporting SLS Vulnerability Mitigation To Existing GCC Releases

Phoronix: Arm Backporting SLS Vulnerability Mitigation To Existing GCC Releases

Back in June when Arm disclosed their Straight Line Speculation (SLS) vulnerability affecting their modern ARM processor designs there wasn't a whole lot of attention. It seems SLS is serious enough that Arm is working on bringing their compiler-based mitigations to existing GCC releases beyond it already being in the current development code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now given a random smartphone (let's assume it's Android), how do you find out if it's vulnerable?

Here is my guess (but keep in mind, it's just a guess):
    1. Install Droid Info, that shows what Arm CPU the smartphone has.
    2. Open the app, look for the "System" tab
    3. Find the "Instructions set" item. If it contains "v8" in the value, your smartphone is vulnerable.
    Can anyone confirm this is a correct way yo know?
    Assuming it is, next question is how hard can it be for an application to exploit this vulnerability and what kind of data it can steal.
    Last edited by lucrus; 22 July 2020, 03:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      Now given a random smartphone (let's assume it's Android), how do you find out if it's vulnerable?

3. Find the "Instructions set" item. If it contains "v8" in the value, your smartphone is vulnerable.
      Assuming it is, next question is how hard can it be for an application to exploit this vulnerability and what kind of data it can steal.
      nope, not correct. there are ARMv8 cores that aren't vulnerable because they don't do speculative execution (Cortex-A32, Cortex-A35, Cortex-A53, and Cortex-A55). there are also ARMv7 cores that do speculative execution, which might be vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by hotaru View Post
        nope, not correct. there are ARMv8 cores that aren't vulnerable because they don't do speculative execution (Cortex-A32, Cortex-A35, Cortex-A53, and Cortex-A55). there are also ARMv7 cores that do speculative execution, which might be vulnerable.
        Thank you very much... and... what's the correct way to tell if my smartphone is vulnerable then?

Comment

Thank you very much... and... what's the correct way to tell if my smartphone is vulnerable then?
          look at what cores your phone has and search online to find out if they're in-order or out-of-order. if they're in-order, they're not vulnerable. if they're out-of-order, they're probably vulnerable. most smartphones have both in-order and out-of-order cores.

Comment

Almost every single Android phone/tablet and iOS phone/tablet/watch released in the past few years has an ARMv8 CPU.

I wonder if the final Android 10 update for my OnePlus 5 was built with a mitigated compiler? Or is it now vulnerable as long as I'm using the official OS.

Comment

Working...
            X