FFmpeg Adds H.265 Tile Encoding Support For VA-API With Intel Icelake+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FFmpeg Adds H.265 Tile Encoding Support For VA-API With Intel Icelake+

Phoronix: FFmpeg Adds H.265 Tile Encoding Support For VA-API With Intel Icelake+

The latest FFmpeg multimedia library code can see faster H.265 video encoding with the Video Acceleration API when running on Icelake and newer Intel graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am done with it. Let me sleep.

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    but a best effort will be made

Comment

rip my Haswell

Comment

YAY! Now bring on a moderately priced *destop* Xe graphics card.

Comment

Originally posted by rickst29 View Post
          YAY! Now bring on a moderately priced *destop* Xe graphics card.
          With AV1 video decode.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

With AV1 video decode.
            I said it half a year or so ago that HEVC/HEIC was going to be the standard for years to come while AV1 incubates. The successor to HEVC/HEIC is in the works already and soon will be released.

The Producers of our media determine the standard we consume, not the other way around. AV1 is a lofty years down the road end game that will continue to be a moving target as those who create all the creative content continue adding IP and new standards to their massive catalogues.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post

I said it half a year or so ago that HEVC/HEIC was going to be the standard for years to come while AV1 incubates. The successor to HEVC/HEIC is in the works already and soon will be released.

The Producers of our media determine the standard we consume, not the other way around. AV1 is a lofty years down the road end game that will continue to be a moving target as those who create all the creative content continue adding IP and new standards to their massive catalogues.
              Some companies will do that, sure. As HEVC adoption has shown, people are sick of the patent bullshit. They should've stuck with the same licensing strategy as H.264, but no.

Instead, Google, Netflix and a few others (atleast Hotstar) have moved to using VP9. Now Google and Netflix are already using AV1. Like it or not, the AV1 train is moving forward.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post

With AV1 video decode.
                Xe has AV1 decode.

Comment

The Producers of our media determine the standard we consume, not the other way around.
                  Actually distribution platforms choose the standards we consume. Even with traditional platforms like cable and IPTV that is true. They receive channels in an original format and re-encode to the codecs they're using.

Comment

I said it half a year or so ago that HEVC/HEIC was going to be the standard for years to come while AV1 incubates.
                    Except HEVC hasn't really gone anywhere and has had almost no uptake with streaming for obvious reasons. It's the very reason other standards were proposed to try and resolve the mess that was created with HEVC so it's successor had a chance of going anywhere. But I don't have much faith in that path.

Comment

Working...
                    X