Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Git 2.28-rc1 Released - Continues The Transition Towards SHA256 Plus Moving Off "Master"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For all of you who didn't read past the title:

* The name of the primary branch in existing repositories, and the default name used for the first branch in newly created repositories, is made configurable, so that we can eventually wean ourselves off of the hardcoded 'master'.
    They are just allowing the default branch name to be configured, so you can set it to whatever you want unless you think the whole "master" branch issue is ridiculous (and it is).

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
      Soon every word will be banned and everything will have to be yes and no.
      No has negative connotation. That's banned too. Infact, the word banned must be banned!

Comment

So it begins... It all reminds me of one of the major themes of 1984, the destruction of language for political aims. To hell with precision and learning from the mistakes of the past, just burn every reminder of what we once were if that isn't in line with our greatest aspirations.

I'm am going to disagree with most the the people who are annoyed by this as to the underlying reason for this because I've never seen anyone actually upset or genuinely annoyed over the use the use of the term "master" in a technical context to describe relationships between various technical entities. Instead it's about the people who like to claim that this upsets or might possibly upset other people at some point down the line.

What these people, the same ones who are ultimately behind this almost Orwellian destruction of language, are doing it out if is very obvious case of white savior complex. You unfortunately see this stuff all over these days in inconsequential potential slights just like being addressed to massively over-sized fanfare as if the people behind it were actually making a real change rather than only polishing their own egos. You also see this is media about how films and TV series are supposedly trailblazers in the areas of diversity and representation when you have shows and films that did just what they're now doing, and did it better, several decades ago.

A good example of this patting yourself on the back when you really shouldn't are how you had that Wonder Woman movie from a few years ago who was supposedly a trailblazer for women as action heroes even thou we've had women as very competent action heroes since at least Sigourney Weaver's Elen Rippley from Alien in 1979! Even if you don't count it due to it technically being a horror movie we've got the action sequel Aliens from 1986 and Linda Hamilton's more grizzled Sarah Connor from 1991. Then a few years later we got Captain Marvell again claiming the exact same thing despite it having been done better not only in the previous movie, but decades earlier.

I genuinely wish this was just a flavor-of-the-month moral panic that'll die out eventually like the ones over rap music, video games and communism, but I've seen this stuff go on for far longer than any one of those and unlike them, it's not being pushed by self-righteous politicians with a constant need to look like they're on a crusade for the benefit of the wider public. No, instead it's some of the most privileged and wealthy people in the world on a crusade to polish their own egos and white savior complexes by doing things that are inconsequential in terms of what they're supposedly striving for. Destroying language and making in less precise, only to satisfy their own ego and savior complex.
        Last edited by L_A_G; 18 July 2020, 07:26 PM.

Comment

Who is bigger idiot?
          Idiot or someone who foloows the idiot?

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post
            Who is bigger idiot?
            Idiot or someone who foloows the idiot?

I'd wager about 180 million Americans resent that.

Comment

Originally posted by L_A_G View Post
              I genuinely wish this was just a flavor-of-the-month moral panic that'll die out eventually like the ones over rap music, video games and communism, but I've seen this stuff go on for far longer than any one of those and unlike them, it's not being pushed by self-righteous politicians with a constant need to look like they're on a crusade for the benefit of the wider public. No, instead it's some of the most privileged and wealthy people in the world on a crusade to polish their own egos and white savior complexes by doing things that are inconsequential in terms of what they're supposedly striving for. Destroying language and making in less precise, only to satisfy their own ego and savior complex.
              I'm not sure about that. I do agree that the "savior complex" is a significant part of it from one direction, but a different group is ALSO pushing the exact same set of outcomes specifically for the benefits they can reap by destroying meaning: "alternative facts" and suchlike.

I think it's unlikely that this latest round of what we used to call "Political Correctness" just happens to have coincided with that, though we were about due for another one anyway (it's a cyclical event, like stock market crashes). I'm not suggesting they were driven by the same forces: more that the "left" (for want of a better term) just sees the opportunity of kicking language while it's already down to try to redefine meaning on their behalf too.

It's frustrating to see this be the battleground for both groups at the same time, and the damage they do to the language is far more real and long-lasting than the imaginary damage of the "words hurt" crowd. But the more you can strip words of their meaning, the easier it is to control the narrative, and that's something that both sides absolutely want to be able to do: they're just taking different paths to achieve that same ability.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                North America and Northern Europe truly is a bizarre weird place. People have been brainwashed by ideology and propaganda to their point that their cognition has warped.
                I believe it is a part of collapse of the western societies, and I don't think it is something that will stay, because it is enforced and holds back progress in similar way to bike shedding, which leads to less agility which leads to hard times and then people will abandon all.
                Luckily this ideology seems limited to the west and is not prevalent in Russia or China.
                Russia and China have other, more pressing issues. :P

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I'd wager about 180 million Americans resent that.
                  OK so you should have noo problem with showing some examples because photography is not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by ferry View Post
                    Apparently certain people mistake words for the practices they describe. And then think using the word itself is wrong. That is non-sense.

The word slave is not wrong in itself. In communication protocols it refers to the party answering to a request from the master. Slavery itself, is not necessarily immoral, ants hold slaves. It's not very sympathetic, but neither is a lion killing a deer. Morality doesn't apply to ants. The immorality applies only to when people hold other people as slaves.

We need to realize that we need words to describe the world we live in and as bad things happen in the world, we need words to describe those too.

It makes no sense to blacklist the words themselves. It fact that might even be detrimental as that would help to erase the black pages from our history. We (the Dutch) have been slave traders and will have to live with that shame forever. Erasing the instances of 'black' in the preceding sentences will only ease our own conscience but not make up for the people whose lives we have destroyed.
                    This, plain and simple, tells the obvious things that most SJWs fail to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by kloczek View Post

OK so you should have noo problem with showing some examples because photography is not enough.
                      We have ~331,002,651 people and, last I saw, Trump was polling at around 45%. That means 55% of the population is lead by an idiot they don't want to be lead by. 55% is 182051458.05 people....or 180 million if we're doing rounding math in our head for a post on the internet.

Comment

Working...
                      X