No announcement yet.

Apple's Compiler Team Starts Upstreaming Changes For macOS 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am just sad, as a developer, Intel has so good assembler and memory model. Like made for humans, not for compilers. ARM is quite hostile after it.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Gas Turbines in multiMW power generators can go well above 60% efficiency
      Those 60+% figures are for combined cycle plants, where you use waste heat from the gas turbine to run a steam turbine. Efficient, yes, but much too bulky and expensive to install in a vehicle (even gas turbine powered ships don't do it).

Get rid of the steam turbine, and efficiency drops to something like 35-40% (depending on size, tech, etc.).

The main reason why gas turbines never took off for things like cars, trucks etc. is that they are very inefficient on part load, and smaller size turbines are also much less efficient than large ones. Add to this that capital cost of a turbine is formidable compared to a piston engine, so for a car that spends 95% of its time parked it's very expensive indeed.

internal combustion engines don't go above 10% even in the best possible conditions (in power generators with a constant load).
      Large two-stroke marine or stationary diesel engines typically reach 45+% efficiency.

It's faster and safer to take a truck engine, do some tweaks and boom you get a tank engine
      Err, no. Modern tank engines put out over 1000 kW, much larger than any truck engine in service.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

They actually did, decades ago.
        that was the joke

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          I'd hazard a guess, they are all fucked
          I had a look at Rosetta 2 - should work just fine. Which is good news.
          After a while MacOS X did drop Rosetta (I think it was Snow Leopard), but in the interim Codeweavers should be fine.

Comment

A while ago MS hinted at a hardware accelerated "translator" from x86 to ARM and Intel shut them down in their tracks with sniper precission.

I'm not so sure Intel will let Apple off the hook so easily without "paying untold moneys".

My guess is Apple will only use Rosetta as a transition tool and will force everybody to move to ARM code as they release new versions of their OS and the applications stop working not because they are x86 but because lots of APIs get deprecated (Part of Apple's routine planned obsolescence).

Apple computing is going to become Apple icomputing a completely walled and closed platform akin to the Playstation4

The industry is full of cargo cultist, so this will set a very bad precedent, however in a way it is good for us in the sense that the only platform true to the free spirit of the personal computer will be Linux.

*free = As in to do what you want with your hardware/software.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              What does anything of this have to do with Mac?! ;p

You know, this is why Phoronix is cool. We talk about processor architectures, and end up changing the topic 3 times.
              Well it started me with using other examples of something which is possible, but impractical, to demonstrate a point and it all devolved from here.

As for why all that stuff got brought up it's that I've had an interest for technology in general since a young age. Wanted to be fighter pilot from a young age until a friend pointed out that with my dad being 193 cm meant I'd grow above the then 180 cm maximum height restriction, but was still left with an interest in aviation. As for the tank and truck stuff I'm from a country with national service and due to my CO in basic training being an ass I got sent to be a driver when I was supposed to end up a signaler. Finally the gas turbine limitation stuff comes from having read up on it as my former university works a lot with Wärtsilä, which makes big diesel piston engines for marine power and electricity generation, directly competing with General Electric gas turbines in that market.

Comment

Working...
              X