No announcement yet.

FPC 3.2 Pascal Compiler Released In 2020 - Even Adds Windows 3.0 16-bit Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPC 3.2 Pascal Compiler Released In 2020 - Even Adds Windows 3.0 16-bit Support

Phoronix: FPC 3.2 Pascal Compiler Released In 2020 - Even Adds Windows 3.0 16-bit Support

The Pascal programming language is 50 years old this year. The Free Pascal Compiler for Pascal / Object Pascal is out with version 3.2 to celebrate, five years since FPC's previous 3.0 stable series. Somewhat amusing. this FPC 3.2 compiler update adds a Windows 16-bit target support for building Pascal code for Windows 3.0+...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I usually write code in C , but have toyed around in Pascal a little many many years ago. Nice to see that they add support for old platforms as well.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

This brings back some fond memories of me toying around with Turbo Pascal many years ago. I was probably 15 years old then, but I still found it to be a beautiful language to learn. I feel bad that I did not pursue learning it rigorously.

Comment

As a language, this is well above classic Turbo Pascal 7.

Comment

I learned Pascal after BASIC. It was still before Pascal added OO (Turbo Pascal 4-ish). It was a huge step-up from BASIC.
          I then learned C after that and C felt like a step backwards from Pascal. However these days Pascal feels foreign to me after seeing so many other languages.
          Pascal is much more capable than people give it credit for.

Last edited by Raka555; 20 June 2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

I used to work on FPC back in 2000s. Really good people. It's awesome that they keep on chugging.

Comment

Wish Pascal get some features from rust, so we can have a modern language with less punctuation.

Comment

A round of memories for Borland's Delphi and its translation of Object Pascal. Where is Anders Hejlsberg anyway, Mr Turbo Pascal?

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                  I learned Pascal after BASIC. It was still before Pascal added OO (Turbo Pascal 4-ish). It was a huge step-up from BASIC.
                  I then learned C after that and C felt like a step backwards from Pascal. However these days Pascal feels foreign to me after seeing so many other languages.
                  Pascal is much more capable than people give it credit for.
                  I know exactly what you mean.

Learning to program in Turbo Pascal was very helpful to me. Because of it's organized program structure it helped me develop good programming skills, like thoughtful and organized program design.

I always thought that C and C++ allowed programmers to be "sorta sloppy"; write the code and let the compilation effort sort it out.

After all, when the only thing that a C or C++ program needs is a
                  Code:
                  main();
                  statement, the programmer can create all sorts of code anarchy elsewhere in their programming.

Comment

Originally posted by goTouch View Post
                    Wish Pascal get some features from rust, so we can have a modern language with less punctuation.
                    Yeah. The variable assigner is too long.

Like who says "x is equal to equals to 4" for "x := 4"?!
                    This annoys me too much even though I have never programmed in Pascal...

...next time maybe make it "x <<->::==is> 4"!

Comment

Working...
                    X