X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by kescherPh View Post
    I'd like to know how whitelist and blacklist are racist. They can only be racist if the person associating these terms with skin colors is racist. These terms have never been about skin color. They have always been about "if there's light it's good" and "if there's no light it's bad".
    Exactly. I don't know what they're thinking.

Like to me "allowlist/denylist" doesn't make any sense at all... I mean come on, whitelist and blacklist was fine, so what's the problem?!
    Seriously, this is going too far...

Leave a comment:

• kescherPh
    replied
    The matter was also raised of replacing LLVM's whitelist/blacklist terminology with allowlist/denylist, which looks like it will happen soon in the LLVM codebase. It was also raised by one developer of potentially avoiding the words "work" and "job" since in Russian and other slavic languages it can be translated in part to "slave."
    I'd like to know how whitelist and blacklist are racist. They can only be racist if the person associating these terms with skin colors is racist. These terms have never been about skin color. They have always been about "if there's light it's good" and "if there's no light it's bad".

Leave a comment:

• kescherPh
    replied
    Ah yes, the branch name change that does not actually change anything significant.
    This kind of change contributes nothing to the fight against inequality. All it is is virtue signalling, while giving back nothing of value to anyone. Donations (to the proper organisations actually fighting issues such as systemic racism, inequality between genders, discrimination against people in LGBTQ+, ...) would do much more good.

Leave a comment:

• LLVM Developers Plotting Path Forward For Moving To A New Git Branch Name

Phoronix: LLVM Developers Plotting Path Forward For Moving To A New Git Branch Name

LLVM is the latest open-source project working to shift their Git development terminology away from the "master" branch naming and to something more inclusive. Nearly everyone who voiced their opinion so far were in favor of this change, but there still are open matters such as what to call their new main development branch, the involved technical costs, and how quickly such a transition should happen...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...nch-Discussion
Working...
X