Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aryma
    replied
    I'm racist and this is not racism please keep the normal name this name is already a standard by now

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    Shh, don't let them know about kioslaves.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    ...as for the blacklist/whitelist thing, the more I think about it, the more ridiculous it gets. Should we scrub piracy from history because "the black flag" gives black people a bad name?

Should white people get upset because the mark of a novice in martial arts is a "white belt" and the mark of a master... I'm sorry, fully trained expert... is a "black belt"? (And doesn't it sound silly to talk about a kung fu expert?)

How should we think about a "black budget"? Should we rage against calling the gnats that are the scourge of certain areas "black flies"? I didn't know any of those other names for them until I looked them up on Wikipedia. What about cultural heritage like Wade Hemsworth's Blackfly Song?

Should we break the elegant double meaning in Gordon Lightfoot's Black Day in July to protect against "black day" having a bad meaning? (A classic song about the 1967 Chicago race riots that is only usually known by Americans who lived within listening distance of a Canadian radio station.)

Leave a comment:

• Volta
    replied
    They should name it: MORONS.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by elldekaa View Post
    On the contrary, whitelist/blacklist terms seem to have everything to do with racism: http://jmla.pitt.edu/ojs/jmla/article/view/490
    Good initiative from LLVM community
    The JMLA may be peer-reviewed according to Wikipedia, but I find it telling that this is the first academic paper I've ever seen that begins with a quote.

The plague of racism is insidious, entering into our minds as smoothly and quietly and invisibly as floating airborne microbes enter into our bodies to find lifelong purchase in our bloodstreams. [1]Maya Angelou
    (To be fair, though, I usually read technical and science papers. Maybe manipulating the reader with charged quotes is par for the course in the soft sciences.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 06-20-2020, 03:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    OK, this is getting silly. I can see replacing master/slave terminology, but this use is "master" as in "master copy". I've never heard of a "slave copy".

If this continues, we're going to see people protesting the idea of "mastering a skill" and "master's degrees".

Besides, I doubt they'll be happy with *any* change to "master" for long, because the core concept is authoritative-ness and, with so many people raging against authority now, idiots gonna idiot.

What we really need is CoCs that ban this sort of "not sure if trolling or just that stupid" misinterpretation of language.

(And seeing that pluralized acronym makes me wonder how long it'll be before our idiocracy produces someone who will rage against using the acronym for Code of Conduct because it's obscene when pronounced.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 06-20-2020, 03:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gabber
    replied
    And so the cancer grows. Pointless changes eating up valuable dev / maintainer time. Breaking a bunch of scripts in the process.

No life is saved with this, but some useless people fell better because of this.

Does someone have a blacklist of those participating in this drummed up outrage?
    - node.js
    - Microsoft (not hard to boycott here I guess..)
    - LLVM

PS:
    To those who think only BLM: If you really want to save black lives, don't look at the police. 2'500/year die from non white non cops. And if you want to stop police violence, don't limit your scope to blacks.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Originally posted by akuhtr
    I slowly begin being racist, just because of this. If there be only one race (my race), no one do stupid moves like this, like changing terminology which dont have racial podtext.
    Well, things don't work out that way. In societies where there are not more obvious broad racial categories, racism gets finer and finer. Look close enough and I'm sure you'd reinvent races at any scale.

The only way around this is to reject nonsense like this piecemeal, and dismantle and preempt Critical Race Theory wherever it may creep into your daily life.

Don't let them win.

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Quarantine yourselves from these people who savage language itself, and from those too spineless to question it.
    Last edited by microcode; 06-20-2020, 03:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• computerquip
    replied
    Originally posted by kescherPh View Post
    I'd like to know how whitelist and blacklist are racist. They can only be racist if the person associating these terms with skin colors is racist. These terms have never been about skin color. They have always been about "if there's light it's good" and "if there's no light it's bad".
    The concept of contextual meaning is dead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X