Khronos Releases OpenVG 1.1 Lite For High Quality Vector Graphics On Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khronos Releases OpenVG 1.1 Lite For High Quality Vector Graphics On Mobile

Phoronix: Khronos Releases OpenVG 1.1 Lite For High Quality Vector Graphics On Mobile

It's been a while since hearing of OpenVG as The Khronos Group's hardware-accelerated 2D vector graphics API. But today they announced a "Lite" version of OpenVG 1.1...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...te-Provisional

Khronos: puts out a non GL/VK release
    Industry: (Yawns)

Comment

Haha, they really called it Open VG? I can't stop laughing

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
        Haha, they really called it Open VG? I can't stop laughing
        Why?...

Also, what's the point of OpenVG? Couldn't somebody make a GPU-accelerated vector library using OpenGL or Vulkan?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Why?...

Also, what's the point of OpenVG? Couldn't somebody make a GPU-accelerated vector library using OpenGL or Vulkan?
          Vulkan was not present 10 years ago. OpenGL ES still lacks some interesting interface OpenVG has, for example regarding path generation and vector-based fonts.

OpenVG was designed with SVG in mind, and that was really evident when I had to make an SVG parser for my work that renders the vector graphics with OpenVG. The "translation" part was incredibly fast and simple.

Comment

Why?...
            Open Va Gina probably

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post

Open Va Gina probably
              What's on people's minds.

Is this what we think of, all day? :<

Comment

Originally posted by blackshard View Post

Vulkan was not present 10 years ago. OpenGL ES still lacks some interesting interface OpenVG has, for example regarding path generation and vector-based fonts.

OpenVG was designed with SVG in mind, and that was really evident when I had to make an SVG parser for my work that renders the vector graphics with OpenVG. The "translation" part was incredibly fast and simple.
                Hmm... but now there's Vulkan.

I wonder if we can fill parts of a vector using normal OpenGL polygons and compute shaders for the anti-aliased borders... ...oh wait they don't exist on ES :<

Comment

What's on people's minds.

Is this what we think of, all day? :<
                  Pretty much, haven't you seen the state of the world today? Incidentally, OpenVJ woulda gotten the same kind of reaction.

I know it's just a bad joke, but still. They really named it that

Comment

Working...
                  X