Apache Updates Subversion - SVN 1.14 LTS Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Hardly, there are lots of projects and developers still using SVN. Why should we switch from SVN to GIT just because that has become the new hot hipster choice of the week? Not everyone needs a distributed VCS and if you don't then GIT just adds unnecessary complexity over something like SVN.
    A 15-year old VCS is hipster. Right. That's like saying a 2002 Opel Corsa is hipster.

Comment

Not everyone needs a distributed VCS
      I think everyone does need a distributed VCS (not necessarily git). Anything else is flawed by design and begging for productivity loss.

Doesn't mean you can't require a centralized server.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        There is nothing in svn that you would miss in git. Git has made svn redundant.
        How do you checkout a single file from a central remote Git repository, work on it and check it back in again - all without copying the repository?
        Can you also lock the file, such that others cannot work on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
          How do you checkout a single file from a central remote Git repository, work on it and check it back in again - all without copying the repository?
          Sure you can't. But this is sooo niche usecase that I'd be surprised anyone would be missing it.

The benefits it gives are: taking less space on your FS and transferring less data over the network (well, for the first time at least). Sounds nice, but not until you realize that the only files you can work with in such way are docs. You can't edit code in this fashion because you need at the very least to check the project still builds after your modifications, and for this you gonna need the rest of the files.

Besides, most popular web interfaces over git servers, namely gitlab and github, allow editing files straight from web, so indeed you don't need to even have the project locally if you just wanted to change docs.

Thanks God git has no such feature. If I want/need to work on the file, why should someone stop me from doing this? Besides I can imagine how easily using this feature gonna end up in mess where peoples forget to unlock the file before going to lunch of even home, and nobody can do anything. What legitimate usecase do you even imagine for this "feature"?
          Last edited by Hi-Angel; 30 May 2020, 03:59 PM. Reason: s/see/realize

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post

I think everyone does need a distributed VCS (not necessarily git). Anything else is flawed by design and begging for productivity loss.

Doesn't mean you can't require a centralized server.
            So please enlighten me how a distributed VCS would increase my productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Git has been with us for 15 years. It has everything beat, including Bazaar or Mercurial. Does it have its sore points? You betcha. But one can hardly call it "hipster choice of the week" at this point.
              Berets and crazy moustaches have been with is for over 200 years and that is still a Hipster thing. GIT in itself is by no means Hipster but your "Just let it die already. Its time is up" is, aka trying to squeeze GIT in to every single project regardless of if it's needed or useful there at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

A 15-year old VCS is hipster. Right. That's like saying a 2002 Opel Corsa is hipster.
                just give it a few more years and that 2002 Opel Corsa of yours might be hip again.

Comment

You can't and for a good reason: it's dangerous.
                  You don't need to lock files when you have proper branches. Locking in svn is just a workaround for painful merges (because, while you don't have branches, you can't rebase either).

Comment

just give it a few more years and that 2002 Opel Corsa of yours might be hip again.
                    Never.

Besides, I was talking about here and now, not about a few years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Never.

Besides, I was talking about here and now, not about a few years from now.
                      OK, I'm quite sure that if we spend enough energy we will find some things that Hipsters use/do that happens to be from 2005 just like GIT. The main point was that the age of GIT have zero to do with Hipster or not.

Anyway, I was not trying to paint GIT itself as Hipster, I was just replying to the whole "SVN needs to die because everyone must use a distributed VCS in 2020", that is what I was meaning to call out.

Comment

Working...
                      X