Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apache Updates Subversion - SVN 1.14 LTS Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apache Updates Subversion - SVN 1.14 LTS Released

    Phoronix: Apache Updates Subversion - SVN 1.14 LTS Released

    For those making use of the Subversion centralized version control system as an alternative to Git, SVN 1.14 LTS is now available...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-SVN-1.14-LTS

  • #2
    Just let it die already. Its time is up.

    Comment


    • #3
      I agree, it's time to let this version controls system to die. No one will be missing it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Just let it die already. Its time is up.
        To quote one of my least favorite fictional characters of all time: "Let the past die... Kill it... If you have to."

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by L_A_G View Post

          To quote one of my least favorite fictional characters of all time: "Let the past die... Kill it... If you have to."
          Ha, Kylo Ren. I couldn't bear it past the first movie.

          Comment


          • #6
            I personally prefer and use Git over SVN, but I don't understand why people want SVN to die.
            Especially, when (in practice) the one does not (easily) support everything the other does (and vice versa).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by matsukan View Post
              I agree, it's time to let this version controls system to die. No one will be missing it.
              Those using it would miss it. While many people choosing a VCS for a new project might choose git, there exist a lot of older projects that started on sccs, rcs, cvs, or svn, and will remain there forever. And converting an existing project is not always trivial. GCC took many years to convert to git (from cvs in that case), and while that was certainly a large and complex conversion project, the conversion did not go through without various manual tuning to not lose the complex history of that project. That type of effort is something that large companies may see little value in doing just to change to a different VCS.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by splitcells.net View Post
                I personally prefer and use Git over SVN, but I don't understand why people want SVN to die.
                Especially, when (in practice) the one does not (easily) support everything the other does (and vice versa).
                There is nothing in svn that you would miss in git. Git has made svn redundant.
                Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

                Those using it would miss it. While many people choosing a VCS for a new project might choose git, there exist a lot of older projects that started on sccs, rcs, cvs, or svn, and will remain there forever. And converting an existing project is not always trivial. GCC took many years to convert to git (from cvs in that case), and while that was certainly a large and complex conversion project, the conversion did not go through without various manual tuning to not lose the complex history of that project. That type of effort is something that large companies may see little value in doing just to change to a different VCS.
                Those projects will still be serviced by the svn versions they have used till now.
                On the other hand, have ever had to teach git to someone used to dumping any number of projects in svn (as messy as possible) and then deal with that using partial checkouts? Branches and tags in svn are non-existent, they're just copies combined with a convention.
                I loved svn when it saved me from cvs, but again, its time is over,

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Just let it die already. Its time is up.
                  Hardly, there are lots of projects and developers still using SVN. Why should we switch from SVN to GIT just because that has become the new hot hipster choice of the week? Not everyone needs a distributed VCS and if you don't then GIT just adds unnecessary complexity over something like SVN.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

                    Hardly, there are lots of projects and developers still using SVN. Why should we switch from SVN to GIT just because that has become the new hot hipster choice of the week? Not everyone needs a distributed VCS and if you don't then GIT just adds unnecessary complexity over something like SVN.
                    Git has been with us for 15 years. It has everything beat, including Bazaar or Mercurial. Does it have its sore points? You betcha. But one can hardly call it "hipster choice of the week" at this point.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X