Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Quick Look At GCC 10.1 PGO Optimization Benchmarks

Phoronix: A Quick Look At GCC 10.1 PGO Optimization Benchmarks

Following the GCC 10.1 compiler optimization benchmarks posted this weekend, a number of readers were wondering about the impact of Profile Guided Optimizations (PGO) on the new GCC 10 compiler. Here are some preliminary data points on that front...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-Optimizations

much more intersting for me is comparing gcc 10 with the previous major release, and for that it is unforutnaly 5-10% slower, run-time as well as build time, … maybe only znver2 on Ryzen 3000, but i have no idea what they plumbed there, ... :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmWKSNKcIfU

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      much more intersting for me is comparing gcc 10 with the previous major release, and for that it is unforutnaly 5-10% slower, run-time as well as build time, … maybe only znver2 on Ryzen 3000, but i have no idea what they plumbed there, ... :-/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmWKSNKcIfU
      Do you have benchmarks for the runtime slowness?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Do you have benchmarks for the runtime slowness?
        it was linked ;-) I only ran it on my Ryzen 3950x, but could theoretically benchmark a couple of other, and Intel systems. I wonder why Michael has not yet plumbed this obvious and low-hanging fruit, ...

Comment

So... is there untapped potential here? Or is PGO support just wasted effort?

Comment

it was linked ;-) I only ran it on my Ryzen 3950x, but could theoretically benchmark a couple of other, and Intel systems. I wonder why Michael has not yet plumbed this obvious and low-hanging fruit, ...
            Benchmarks on youtube?

Comment

Phoronix missed again the opportunity to test PGO with LTO. Both optimisation strategies greatly add to one another. When are we going to see such tests?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

Benchmarks on youtube?
                obviously, where else?

Comment

obviously, where else?
                  If you're the same Rene as in the video, then please try to compress 90 minutes down into 5 minutes for your next video. Also, don't open a book and show its content into a webcam. That's not how books work nor console terminals for that matter.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    If you're the same Rene as in the video, then please try to compress 90 minutes down into 5 minutes for your next video. Also, don't open a book and show its content into a webcam. That's not how books work nor console terminals for that matter.
                    it was a) a livestream b) the last 80 minutes is discussing comments and getting some work done c) maybe only give clever advice if you have a more successful YT channel ;-) and last but not least, people asked for book recommendations, I spend the extra effort to grab one. You are welcome.

Comment

Working...
                    X