GCC 10.1 Compiler Optimization Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

Ok, so I am not allowed to be interested in that. Got it.
    I'm asking you why this is useful, and your response is "so I am not allowed to be interested in that"? That makes a lot of sense to me!

Follow up question: Do you even do programming?

Comment

pgo will be interessting especially the new -fprofile-partial-training might change the Performance with cases where no profile for everything exists. whithout this flag code code not civered by a profile will be optimized for size. this flag just compiles that code generic.

Comment

Now a comparison with the previous gcc and llvm/clang version would have been interesting. Freestanding this is a bit plumbed.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          [FONT=Courier New]It's been irrelevant for ages now. Hardly faster than -O1.
          Smaller executable size for Os than O1 though.

Comment

Please could we see the difference with -march=native at -O1 -O2 -O3 with and without lto

I'm running Gentoo with -O3 -march=native -flto and I'd be curious to know if -O2 would be better and if -flto is worth the added compiling / linking time

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
              Please could we see the difference with -march=native at -O1 -O2 -O3 with and without lto

I'm running Gentoo with -O3 -march=native -flto and I'd be curious to know if -O2 would be better and if -flto is worth the added compiling / linking time
              I didn't use gentoo for a long time. But using O3 system wide wasn't a good idea back then. Sometimes binaries were even slower due to cache misses and the startup time was worse.

Is it nowadays more pleasant to use lto system wide?

Comment

It works fine here, but it's not benchmarked

Comment

Given that -O2 is at times faster than -O3 on generic x86_64, it would be interesting to see a comparison between -O2 -march=native and -O3 -march=native, and -O3 -march=native with PGO and LTO. AFAIK LTO has limited benefits with O2, right?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

I agree with this, Michael any chance we can get to see that?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      It's been irrelevant for ages now. Hardly faster than -O1.
                      Obvious troll...

Comment

Working...
                      X