Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOMedia AV1 2.0 Codec Library Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: AOMedia AV1 2.0 Codec Library Released With Many Improvements

Version 2.0 of the libaom AOMedia AV1 video encoder / video codec SDK library is now available as the first major update in nearly two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i really hope that AV1 becomes a̶ the standard
    Last edited by C8292; 19 May 2020, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I would hope that it would become standard but with hardware accelerated decoding because otherwise it will drain your cpu.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
        i really hope that AV1 becomes THE standard
        Fixed that for you

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad_S792 View Post
          I would hope that it would become standard but with hardware accelerated decoding because otherwise it will drain your cpu.
          What will it drain from the CPU?

Comment

Originally posted by quikee View Post

What will it drain from the CPU?
            Water from all the leaky pipes that are plumbed into the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Water from all the leaky pipes that are plumbed into the kernel.
              Especially the steam valves which are very prone to leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmad_S792 View Post
                Does anybody really care about hardware accelerated decoding? When I had shitty double-core i3 or Core2Duo or Celeron before that I was happy that decoding can be offloaded to GPU because even low-end xx50 and xx30 nVidia cards did better job than CPU. But today when multi-core CPUs are in the mainstream it only makes sense on mobile. I finally gave up on HA in Firefox because now I can watch YT 4K on my two year old six-core cpu and it is far from overheating and doesn't skip frames.

Comment

Originally posted by c2p_ View Post

Does anybody really care about hardware accelerated decoding? When I had shitty double-core i3 or Core2Duo or Celeron before that I was happy that decoding can be offloaded to GPU because even low-end xx50 and xx30 nVidia cards did better job than CPU. But today when multi-core CPUs are in the mainstream it only makes sense on mobile. I finally gave up on HA in Firefox because now I can watch YT 4K on my two year old six-core cpu and it is far from overheating and doesn't skip frames.
                  TVs don't run i3s

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

TVs don't run i3s
                    Ok. HA makes sense on mobile, set-top boxes and TVs (embedded), on PCs - no.

Comment

Working...
                    X