AOMedia AV1 2.0 Codec Library Released With Many Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c2p_ View Post

Does anybody really care about hardware accelerated decoding? When I had shitty double-core i3 or Core2Duo or Celeron before that I was happy that decoding can be offloaded to GPU because even low-end xx50 and xx30 nVidia cards did better job than CPU. But today when multi-core CPUs are in the mainstream it only makes sense on mobile. I finally gave up on HA in Firefox because now I can watch YT 4K on my two year old six-core cpu and it is far from overheating and doesn't skip frames.
    You are right in a sense. These days multicore AVX2 cpus can decode even 4K AV1 video relatively cheap. BUT, the GPU is still more efficient energy-wise + it lets the cpu free for other uses. So HA video is still important and preferable in my opinion. And these days Firefox on Wayland can finally use VAAPI pretty well so i don't see what the problem is. I would definitely prefer to have HA AV1 instead of software. Too bad no hardware exists at the moment. Fingers crossed for RDNA2 gpus having an AV1 decoder. Or at least a shader based solution.

Comment

How will this compare against x265 for encoding? VP9 has been around for years, and it still sucks compared x265.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
        i really hope that AV1 becomes a̶ the standard
        I only don't like that it's easily confused with AVI (the old MS shitty video format)

Comment

Originally posted by gbcox View Post
          How will this compare against x265 for encoding? VP9 has been around for years, and it still sucks compared x265.
          Well AV1 is the successor to VP9. AOM 2.0 should be in the same range or better than x265 quality wise(depending on content and speed settings) Speed wise should it be fine if you encode in parallel (i use av1an right now for parallel encoding) but i have not found a up to date data how aom compares speed wise to x265 for the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            TVs don't run i3s
            TVs have decoders and they already exist from a few different vendors.

Comment

They've forgot to add few key changes into changelog for some unknown reasons... 1) Considerable encoding time speedup compared to previous release version. 2) Far more sane cpu-vs-quality tradeoffs, speed levels were rearranged and tuned to make more sensible speed levels - also fitting realtime encoding as highest speeds. 3) Overall improvement of encoding quality tradeoffs (bitrate vs encoding speed vs achieved picture quality). So it isn't fastest thing around. But it manages to deliver stunning quality picture at small bitrates (file sizes). And that's was whole point of AV1 after all.

Comment

Working...
              X