GCC 11 Enables Co-Routines Support In C++20 Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dev_null View Post
    I personally want to resolve an asynchronous hell.
    networking ts could be merged into c++23

Comment

Originally posted by dev_null View Post
      Thanks!. Looks like it won't work on Linux at full power though, and most likely won't work at gcc-10 without some adoption.
      True, I copied an example from the site but I didn't try to run. However my point was to highlight that the differences between the standard (which provides a very low level interface) and the library which will provide a more user (/developer) friendly interface.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
        coroutines have nothing to do with threads, they are syntactic sugar for callbacks(single threaded). they don't run concurrently and do not require synchronization, which has impact on reasoning and on execution
        Actually, coroutines do run concurrently, they just don't run in parallel. But I'm just posting this for correctness' sake, I frequently mix those two up myself.

Comment

The defining characteristic of co-routines is a voluntary yield() call that passes control to the next co-routine (or a dispatch function). After the other co-routine finishes its work and yields, control is returned back to this function after its yield() call. This is usually in a tight loop.

Threads are preemptively scheduled and do not need to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post
            The defining characteristic of co-routines is a voluntary yield() call that passes control to the next co-routine (or a dispatch function). After the other co-routine finishes its work and yields, control is returned back to this function after its yield() call. This is usually in a tight loop.

Threads are preemptively scheduled and do not need to yield.
            And yet, the Thread class in Java has a yield() method
            I will always remember what a teacher (RIP) taught us in college: when you feel the need to yield(), take a step back and look at the bigger picture - there's a problem somewhere. A simple piece of advice that has kept me out of trouble for almost two decades now.

Of course, outside of this particular peculiarity, was you wrote is spot-on. I also don't know whether, like in the traditional cooperative multitasking case, when one coroutine doesn't play ball, it messes with the other coroutines on the same thread.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

And yet, the Thread class in Java has a yield() method
              I will always remember what a teacher (RIP) taught us in college: when you feel the need to yield(), take a step back and look at the bigger picture - there's a problem somewhere. A simple piece of advice that has kept me out of trouble for almost two decades now.

Of course, outside of this particular peculiarity, was you wrote is spot-on. I also don't know whether, like in the traditional cooperative multitasking case, when one coroutine doesn't play ball, it messes with the other coroutines on the same thread.
              co-routines and other types of async / await programming rely on yield. Otherwise there would be nothing concurrent about it.

Yield in real threads is always a mistake because it indicates that the programmer doesn't know what their thread is supposed to be doing. If it is supposed to run, then run. If it is supposed to be waiting on some event, then wait on that event. If it is low priority then set a low thread priority. Not this, Oh I might be using too much time so I should see if some other thread wants to butt in.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

co-routines and other types of async / await programming rely on yield. Otherwise there would be nothing concurrent about it.

Yield in real threads is always a mistake because it indicates that the programmer doesn't know what their thread is supposed to be doing. If it is supposed to run, then run. If it is supposed to be waiting on some event, then wait on that event. If it is low priority then set a low thread priority. Not this, Oh I might be using too much time so I should see if some other thread wants to butt in.
                Yes, I know all that.
                I was just saying, when things are so clear cut, along comes Java and adds yield() to Thread. I'm sure many beginners fell for that.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, I know all that.
                  I was just saying, when things are so clear cut, along comes Java and adds yield() to Thread. I'm sure many beginners fell for that.
                  Of course you haven't really had fun until you've programmed on a system with preemptive multitasking and no memory protection between the different processes or the OS. That'll put hair on your chest! And gray hair on your head. One bad pointer and Boom!, down goes the whole system.

Luckily "the whole system" was just your own PC, but still.

Comment

stackful and stackless both have their pros and cons, it's good to have both(or something combined, and there was an effort to combine them, but it wasn't successful yet)
                    microsoft was impatient because they need them for their api
                    Microsoft actually leapt on the stackful coroutines bandwagon back in the early Windows NT days and provided OS-level support for fibers. Here's a writeup on why they consider the WinAPI fiber support deprecated:

Fibers under the magnifying glass by Gor Nishanov

coroutines have nothing to do with threads, they are syntactic sugar for callbacks(single threaded). they don't run concurrently and do not require synchronization, which has impact on reasoning and on execution
                    Whether they run in parallel (they execute concurrently by definition) depends on the implementation. For example, in Rust, thanks to the data race guarantees provided by the language, an async executor is free to farm the async tasks out over a thread pool without worry.
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 19 May 2020, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark625 View Post

Of course you haven't really had fun until you've programmed on a system with preemptive multitasking and no memory protection between the different processes or the OS. That'll put hair on your chest! And gray hair on your head. One bad pointer and Boom!, down goes the whole system.

Luckily "the whole system" was just your own PC, but still.
                      I did that, but only for a semester, before I decided going that low-level is not my cup of tea.
                      I liked doing UIs and presenting stuff. Of course, I ended up mostly as a back-end developer :P Plenty of threads to mess up there, too, but since I'm not doing C/C++, they're the tamer variety.

Comment

Working...
                      X