Rust Performance Is Getting Hurt On LLVM 10 With Noticeably Longer Build Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
    You missed my point. I'm suggesting language developers should invest into the compiler backend more, instead of solely relying on the upstream.
    Sorry, my bad. That's actually a good point you made.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
      Maybe the rust people will rewrite it in rust ...

(I will actually cheer for them this time, if they do)
      This problem has nothing to do with C++. These are just design problems which can be fixed. Writing an compiler isn't that easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

This problem has nothing to do with C++. These are just design problems which can be fixed. Writing an compiler isn't that easy.
        Not getting into a language war

Comment

Originally posted by Almindor View Post
          Sadly LLVM devs have a tendency to ignore issues related to only Rust.
          No one cares for a soon to be dead language. It's basicly dead on delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post

No one cares for a soon to be dead language. It's basicly dead on delivery.
            Rust is not dead,... Although, I don't use it, as I'm developing information systems. Rust has got lots of utiliziation in low level systems. Also, it's good for system daemons, as they can be efficient on resources usage, and safe at the same time.

Comment

I never mind about compile time.
              I do mind always about run time.

Comment

Originally posted by atomsymbol

Compile time is the time it takes to run the compiler.
                OK. Fair.
                I mind about the program run time, not the compilation run time.
                If my program needs to run hundreds of times a hour, I don't mind if the compilation takes 1 hour and my program runs in 1 second.
                On the other side if the compilation lasts 30 minutes and the program requires 5 seconds, then to me a faster compiler is not relevant.

Comment

>llvm
                  >rust
                  Both bloat and slow crap.

It's funny how they had the audacity to THINK about wanting to add support for Rust in the GCC, in fact, it's more ABSURD to think about wanting to write drivers for the linux kernel using Rust or develop a kernel or operating system using Rust as a base.

Comment

Originally posted by kravemir View Post

Rust is not dead,... Although, I don't use it, as I'm developing information systems. Rust has got lots of utiliziation in low level systems. Also, it's good for system daemons, as they can be efficient on resources usage, and safe at the same time.
                    Agreed, as much as I dislike Rust it is being used. My university friend is doing his PhD research in Rust working on AI for self driving cars.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                      Maybe the rust people will rewrite it in rust ...

(I will actually cheer for them this time, if they do)
                      There is actually something in the works. Not for rust specifically, but it will be implemented as a backend for the rust compiler. It is called Cranelift. But it will be more optimized for fast build times.

Comment

Working...
                      X