Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GCC 10 Has Been Branched, GCC 10.1 Stable Looking To Release In Early May

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GCC 10 Has Been Branched, GCC 10.1 Stable Looking To Release In Early May

    Phoronix: GCC 10 Has Been Branched, GCC 10.1 Stable Looking To Release In Early May

    The GNU Compiler Collection 10 stable release (GCC 10.1) is on track for releasing in early May...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-GCC-10.1-Soon

  • #2
    Looking forward towards GCC 11 for The Linux Desktop

    Comment


    • #3
      33 years and 1 month after RMS wrote the original. On emacs, which he wrote himself as well. Amazing that just over 3 short decades ago, there were no proper tools available that were free from restrictive licenses, and one person had to just sit down and start writing as much of it as he could. And we've all benefited nearly non-stop ever since then ("all" as in "all mankind", not just "all free software geeks").

      Comment


      • #4
        You clearly weren't around when Aminet was the biggest collection of free and mostly public domain/freeware software.
        That was the time before computing got owned by lawyers and wintel.

        So there were free tools around, with *less* restrictions than GPL.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by discordian View Post
          You clearly weren't around when Aminet was the biggest collection of free and mostly public domain/freeware software.
          Don't forget Fred Fish. And there was ASM-One (Kuma Seka) before GCC The ultimate Tool in Coding... I bet RMS was drooling that way back that time... DYTEC

          Comment


          • #6
            http://aminet.net/ still around

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by discordian View Post
              You clearly weren't around when Aminet was the biggest collection of free and mostly public domain/freeware software.
              That was the time before computing got owned by lawyers and wintel.

              So there were free tools around, with *less* restrictions than GPL.​
              I was around, and I agree with your point, but just to be clear, Aminet went live in the early 90's, several years after the introduction of the GPL, which itself was created as a protection due to prior software lawsuits. Aminet and other collections were probably born in part as a response to a similar collection of legal cases as the GPL was.

              Comment


              • #8
                I wonder if F32 is going to be fully rebuilt once GCC 10 gets released and if it's worth not updating for a while before it happens.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                  I was around, and I agree with your point, but just to be clear, Aminet went live in the early 90's, several years after the introduction of the GPL, which itself was created as a protection due to prior software lawsuits. Aminet and other collections were probably born in part as a response to a similar collection of legal cases as the GPL was.
                  IIRC, Stallman wrote the original Emacs on Alice's PDP-10. It wasn't entirely clean, with parts in Lisp, parts in TICO, and some performance-critical parts in TENEX assembly. But it rocked.

                  Rocked bad enough that James Gosling ported it to VMS, with the TICO and assembly now in C. Stallman was impressed enough he then took Gosling's effort and ported it to PDP-8/11 Unix. Gosling objected. Lawsuit ensued. Stallman won. GPL was born.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Candy View Post
                    Don't forget Fred Fish. And there was ASM-One (Kuma Seka) before GCC The ultimate Tool in Coding... I bet RMS was drooling that way back that time... DYTEC
                    ASM-One was initially developed from 1990-91, 3-4 years after GCC.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X