Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marvell ThunderX3 Machine Model Pending For The GCC Compiler

Phoronix: Marvell ThunderX3 Machine Model Pending For The GCC Compiler

Last month Marvell announced the ThunderX3 server processors with up to 96 ARM cores per SoC and with 4-way SMT means up to 384 threads per socket. This 7nm Arm server processor also supports eight DDR4-3200 memory channels, 64 lanes of PCIe 4.0, and other advancements to provide more competitiveness in the Arm server space. Marvell is now working on getting the ThunderX3 software support ironed out, including for the GCC compiler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder how the Marvell ThunderX3 and ThunderX4 compares against Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I wonder how the Marvell ThunderX3 and ThunderX4 compares against Intel Xeon and AMD Epyc.
      I generally value this publisher, but this topic might need some scepticism: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15621...rver-processor

You probably already know, but older ThunderX system(s) was tested there on Phoronix under the Cavium name. For example https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...hunderx-96core

Do you have any info on ThunderX4? I can't find any specs related to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post
        Do you have any info on ThunderX4? I can't find any specs related to it.
        No, but it is said to offer twice the performance of X3.
        Marvell outlines its current and future Arm server microprocessor roadmap, aiming at a 2-year cadence with greater than 2x performance gen-over-gen.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Don't count on seeing any direct comparisons anytime soon.

Cavium/Marvell are kind of playing hide and seek with ThunderX when it comes to benchmarking. They don't want the world to think they are competing with Intel/AMD.

The articles on ThunderX in Anandtech and Serve The Home are right out of the brochures. So no value there.

They say ThunderX is focused on the HPC market and that their equipment doesn't compare to Intel or AMD, but yet they don't mind showing VM performance comparatives.

Now the Marvell marketing team says they are #1 in the HPC market, but I can't find a Gartner or Forrester report that says how big this market actually is.

So I guess you can say anything if that is the case.

I tried to purchase a ThunderX/Gigabyte workstation board through an authorized reseller and I had to "pre-qualify" by telling them exactly what I was going to do with it. (huh?)

Turns out they couldn't get any CPU's from Cavium anyway, and they wanted me to buy a service agreement. So it went nowhere.

I keep seeing press releases on how ThunderX2 has been certified for various clouds, but I never see an offering. So I can only speculate it was relegated to storage control or some batch automation activities.

As you can see I am pretty skeptical on ThunderX. Press releases, pictures and rumors on performance only go so far.

Comment

Working...
          X